Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:39 pm 

I have some photos that I shot with RAW (NEF) + JPG (Normal) on my D90. I like the way the JPGs turned out in terms of color settings (vivid), saturation, and sharpening. Therefore, I never messed with the NEF files and saved them in my archives.

Now, I want to print out some of these photos in large format (24" x 16") and I don't think the JPG (Normal) will be able to show the best quality at that large of a print.

I want to save it in JPG (Fine) or TIFF and the only way I know to do that is to go back to the original NEF file. My question is, which software will allow me to keep the original look of the JPG files and import all the in-camera settings to the NEF file to the point where I don't need to do any tweaking and just have to save the NEF in the new format.

I have Lightroom 3 and Aperture 3. Is Nikon's Capture NX the easiest and fastest method to do what I want?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:20 am 

not familiar with Nikon stuff so cannot answer all you questions. The raw/nef file is just that, its not have any adjustments done to it. I am not aware of any software that will apply the settings in your jpg to the subsequent raw/nef file.

but if you look at you jpg setting in your camera, you maybe be able to work out how much sharpening, contrast and saturation was added. It will give you a starting point. The added benefit of using the raw file is that you can change many more things, like the white balance that may add some warms to the picture for example. Since you have the original jpg you should be able to compare the two easily enough. Also, if possible consider printing both, to check for differences.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:19 am 

I think the only software that will do what you want is whatever software Nikon supplied with the camera. I don't really know because I use Canon but I know that the software Canon supplies (Digital Photo Professional) can read in camera settings so I assume that the software Nikon supply can do so also. Other than that it is probably a case of doing what maxjj suggests.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:39 am 

CaptureNX will be overkill, try ViewNX (it's free)