Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shooting HD with a s100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:43 pm 
Question for those of you who have shot video using any of Canon's P&S cameras. I'm totally new to shooting video.

First time I shot a test clip there was an incredible amount of noise. Found out there is a "wind noise filter" feature I can turn on/off. So I turned that on. Cut a lot of the ambient wind noise. But the mic is still picking up every tiny shuffle of my hand while holding the camera. A s100. Guess I need to work on my camera holding technique. Are all still cameras that shoot HD so hyper sensitive to the smallest sound? (e.g. any tiny movement of the hand that's holding the camera). No matter if you're shooting with a P&S or a 5D2?

Also, when shooting HD video (HD camcorder or still camera) is it possible to totally eliminate wind noise? (e.g. putting that "furry" thing over the external mic) Or is wind noise a fact of life shooting HD video? Something to be worked on in post-production.

Can some one recommend a good forum for HD Videograhy? Novices to Pros.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:33 pm 
I'm now also hearing knocking sounds. Do I need to turn off the IS? Could that be making the knocking sounds?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:37 pm 

Whether it's HD, SD or 4K video you're shooting is immaterial to the wind noise but to completely eliminate wind noise is impractical. The dead kitten/dead cat can cut wind noise considerably but it's very likely that you'll need still some PP to reduce the noise further. Some software packages have audio tools designed specifically to reduce wind noise while maintaining audible wanted sound and speech.

If I'm moving within only a small area, the way I get around the noises of my hand touching the camera or adjusting the lens is to use an extension cable with my external mic mounted on a tripod.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:47 pm 
Rorschach wrote:
If I'm moving within only a small area, the way I get around the noises of my hand touching the camera or adjusting the lens is to use an extension cable with my external mic mounted on a tripod.

Good tip. Though, being that I'm presently only using my s100, I guess I'll have to live with some wind noise. It's really not that bad with the in-camera "wind noise" filter "on". Just need to find out what is now making the knocking noises. I'm thinking it might be the IS setting set to "only when shooting". When I had it set to "coninuous" I didn't have the knocking.

When I buy my 5D3 I'll buy a RODE and use a "dead cat".

What HD video editing software would you recommend? I'm an Apple user so I have iMovie installed on my iMac. Guess it will do for now. Not sure I want to invest in Final Cut. Are there more affordable, easy for novices, type software you can recommend?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 pm 

I don't know if there's a Mac version but I use CyberLink PowerDirector and even Windows Live Movie Maker.

PowerDirector has an audio editing feature which lets you reduce wind noise by up to 10dB.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 pm 
Rorschach wrote:
I don't know if there's a Mac version but I use CyberLink PowerDirector and even Windows Live Movie Maker.

PowerDirector has an audio editing feature which lets you reduce wind noise by up to 10dB.

I'll look into Power/Director. The laptop I'm using now is running Windows 7.

Now if only i could figure out what is making the knocking noise when in video mode. I did drop y s100 twice. Hope I didn't knock something "video related" loose. Though, as I said, the first 2 test clips were taken after the drops. No knocking sounds (faint).

Could it have anything to do with the amount of light in a room? The clips with the knocking noise were taken in conditions with less light. Maybe something, while in the video mode, is trying to do some calculations? Shrug. Could it be the camera trying to AF? In which case shooting in M should eliminate the damn knocking sounds...will test tomorrow.

Don't think this is happening with DSLR's with HD video (e.g. 7D/5D2...etc.). The faint knocking sounds i mean.