Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: IS IT WORTH IT?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:09 pm 
So i just recently went and bought a Brand new D3100 w/ regular lens, and the 55-200MM lens... after I got home and got down playing with the extra lens I wondered if I should have just went for the D5100 without an extra lens (its about an even trade) and just save up for a little while while learning the camera to buy another lens is the D5100 worth trading in that extra lens? keep in mind I am new to photography. I appretiate your input!

Post subject: Re: IS IT WORTH IT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 am 

It depends if you are really going to use the longer lens.

The 5100 has a slightly better sensor and some more controls, but you will never really see any quality difference between the two. The D7000 is a more logical step up - controls, construction, capabilities etc, but with the 5100 sensor.

If you're learning you have a very good set-up that can produce top grade photos.

Should you progress in photography you can always buy a larger/more sophisticated camera and keep the 3100 (with, say a 35/1.8 or a 40/2.8) as a compact, convenient camera. My D40 (roughly the size of the 3100) with the 35/1.8 is really compact and light - a pleasure to carry round, and with a doof viewfinder to take photos on the run.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:53 am 
I still have my Konica -Minolta Dynax 7D It has traveled to many country's
and the lens I always used is an AF DT 18-200 which take's pictures far
and near . I now mostly use my new Nikon D700 which I have not
traveled with but I will try that with a 70-300 zoom which I find also
very versatile it saves dragging a lot of gear along and you can handle
all situations using one lens! > test your 55-200 mm and get use to it
you'll probably find you never want to part with it ! good luck
drecked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:38 am 
It all really depends on what you want to shoot. Even as a beginner, you should have in mind what you want to take pictures of. I don't find telezooms particularly useful, but I shoot models, street and events. If you like to have the 55-200 as a versatility, then do keep it. As both kit lenses are very good for the price.

As for which camera you should take...I say the 3100 because it'll have all the features you'll ever need to shoot. That's M and RAW capabilities :wink:. If I was in your boots, I'd get rid of the tele and spend a little more to get the 35mm as one of the above posts mentioned. It is a fantastic little lens and you'll be enjoying the party while having a blast taking photos of your friends from the light weight.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:07 am 
Hi davix , I have a 24-70 mm zoom 1:2.8 ed as well and It's very good but when i travel I find the 70-300 zoom OK
I would prefer to have one like the Minolta 18-200 but Nikon have not come up with anything like that .
if you are a professional I guess you would not entertain those lenses but they work for me .
(BTW have you had anything top do with macro lenses ?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:27 am 
Hey Drecked. Zooms are definitely more convenient than that of primes. But I prefer the smaller size and wide aperture that primes offer. You should check out the 28-300mm super zoom that Nikon has. It's something that you're probably interested in. And I'm far from a professional, just pro-amateur :). As for macro, I've never used them but I know they can shoot sweet portraits as well as flowers.