Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:32 pm 

Wow, I think they found a way to recycle those magic photo slide binoculars for kids and made it into a camera.

Leo's Flickr Page

Post subject: Re: Closed Minded
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:27 pm 

Tweeks wrote:
Wow.. I'm shocked that this group does not realize the significance of this thing's underlying technology.

Yes.. its first incarnation here is cheesey, fbook, sub-pro-grade toy-product.
Yes it's being marketed like a candybar
Yes it's a long, hard to carry, uni-tasker that will probably fail..

Tweeks

Being dismissive of an implementation and being dismissive of a concept are NOT one and the same so I think your accusation of us being closed-minded is rather harsh.

I don't think anybody here has written off the technology or its potential, it's how it's been put in to practice that has received the criticism.

I make no denial however that I find the marketing extremely conceited and self-indulgent since I'm pretty underwhelmed by the performance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:15 am 

Tweeks wrote:
Wow.. I'm shocked that this group does not realize the significance of this thing's underlying technology.

Yes.. its first incarnation here is cheesey, fbook, sub-pro-grade toy-product.
Yes it's being marketed like a candybar
Yes it's a long, hard to carry, uni-tasker that will probably fail..

But the underlying Light Field technology is totally game changing, disruptive technology.. and you KNOW that Nikon, Canon and others are pouring over the patents behind this as we type!

Ive looked at the tech, its great, maybe its game changing, but this camera is rubbish and your accusations that we are not giving this tech a good run is untrue, we are making fun of the makers and marketers not the tech. In fact majority of the posts say that the Tech is good, and that it would change cameras, but needs work, so whats the problem that you seem to try to point out in your post? Seems like you think we closed minded but as a teacher, I KNOW you arent reading.

Tweeks wrote:
Imagine a zero-delay, focus later set of lenses WITH built in 3D on a DLSLR?! With a =decent F#, the power of that offering would separate DSLRs into pre-all-focus and "modern" cameras.

Forget about the Lytro camera, but Light Field technology is truly a disruptive technology.

Tweeks

Who ever said Light Feild was rubbish, I dont see a post that says that. And Zero delay focus exists in DSLRs now, I think 0.034 seconds is more than enough. for most pros. Built in 3D? Dont we have already, especailly with Video cameras? Focus later? I like to use photoshop and I normally shoot more than once to make sure I have a properly focused image.

I dont see your point or your faux offence in your post.

Leo's Flickr Page

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:17 pm 

@Ruben
The cameras you are talking about use a type of lens that give a constant DOF. Much used in cheap film cameras that didn't have a focusing control.
This is a new technology, based on not so new idea.
Imagine a window pane of a room (the camera) from which you can look outside ( the scene)
On every single pont of the glass there is information of the WHOLE scene. If one can somehow isolate every point and store differentiallly the data from every direction one can get multiple images in all the directions of the field of view, as if shot with hundreds of cameras at the same time in every direction that you can see from the window. I don't know exactly how it works, they use a micro lens filter and every micro lens, I suppose, projects light on many pixels and with software the data may be processed separately for every micro lens.
This idea is at the base of holography, which encodes the data in a different way with the same result and every single point of the image contains information from all the scene. A holograph as opposed to a regular photo image, you may cut in as many litle pieces as you want and on everyone you will see the whole image. Ithink that something similar is with this new technology. This approach is, mabe, the reson why you can get a 3D image, as with a hologram, with this technology.
But I may be wrong, of course.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm 

Ah, okay! Thanks for the explanation Radu!

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:30 pm 

I had a play with one today.http://pictures.lytro.com/JezSan/pictures/52213 and http://pictures.lytro.com/JezSan/pictures/52077#

It has lots of limitations but it also does something no other camera does so it's interesting if only for the technology.

Simon