Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: M9 Like
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:26 am 

Revised on April 22, 2012.
In my hunt for a full frame camera, a little time went into researching the M9. There is no way for me to justify the kilobeans for the M9. The M9 is of course very interesting though and, I read a M9 review wherein the reviewer described how the M9 handles saturation. The reviewer noted that the M9 saturation of red and yellow is elevated. M9 colors look great so, I wondered if my shots would look better with a bit more red and yellow.

A shot taken with my wife's P90 was opened in LR4 next to a M9 sample shot. The P90 sample was tweaked to resemble the M9 red and yellow saturation levels. I liked what I saw. The red/yellow increases were applied to several shots taken with the P90. I was happy with the change in P90 images already shot at max vivid. The picts didn’t look over cooked and, the increase in punch looked great. In fact the shots looked kind of ah, well.... M9 like.

My awareness of Leica saturation came about from looking at the current crop of full frame cameras and, the X Pro 1 ISO performance. I’m particularly interested in a camera’s ISO 800-1600 capability. Current full frame camera samples tend to bear out that the M9 beats to the tune of a different drummer. It seems that anything much over ISO 200 is a nonstarter. Low light performance was apparently not a M9 design requirement.

On my limited experience with Lieca. When I moved to LA, my sister loaned me her Leica 35mm film camera (M2? I'll have to check) and a meter. My Kodak ASA 100 film was developed and printed at Photomart back then. The Leica prints looked different- better. I attributed the excellent IQ to the fact that the shots were taken in the mountains- where the air is clean. The prints had better IQ than any family photo I'd ever seen. Now as then, the Lieca IQ ( great glass I’m thinking) leaves me captivated.

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr