Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:11 am 
Hello everyone!

I am currently searching for a new camera to purchase, and I have been looking at several DSLR's made by Canon/Nikon/Sony. With Canon being my top selection of brand, due to previous encounters with Canon products. But I am also open to Nikon and Sony products.

My main purpose for the camera is cinematography, for shooting short films and student films.

Currently, my top choice is the Canon Rebel T3i. With the help of CameraLabs reviews I feel as if the T3i is best suited for me, along with the fact that I have recently worked on a film set wherein the DP was using a Canon DSLR, which is what I am looking to do. The video quality was superb, and the camera itself seems to be just what I am looking for.

If anyone has any other recommendations for DSLR cameras supporting full HD video recording, or that are useful for cinematography, suggestions and feedback are welcome.

To anyone who owns a T3i and uses it primarily for shooting video, your comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

-Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:39 am 

For Video, the mirror-less system from Sony is tops right now.
I believe it's the same on both a77 & a65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvGNPmZ_I4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOpGV-qX ... re=related

Last edited by WestCoast on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:04 am 

See my post here.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 am 
Thank you for the suggestions!

the Sony DSLR's are awesome...the a77 is a bit out of my price range but the a65 I shall definitely look further into. Do you have any personal experience with shooting video on the a65?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:58 pm 

Nope, neither one of my camera bodies support video. I'm just going on what the "pros" are saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:52 am 

JordanG3i wrote:
Do you have any personal experience with shooting video on the a65?

On the off chance that that question was directed at me: no, because I prefer to do the cinematography myself (read: have full manual control of shutter, aperture and ISO), not leave it up to my camera. So I've only shot with my (hacked) GH1 and GH2 when I need AF (e.g. camera on crane) and/or long takes (e.g. ENG/doc/master), and/or my partner's 7D (which, video-wise, is basically identical to the T3i) and 5DII (note that moire and a 12-minute take limit are not as critical if you have the aforementioned clean master from the GH1/2).

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:53 am 
awesome, thanks. I'm definitely going with the T3i for now. I should have it within a few weeks. I'm more interested in cinematography as well

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:53 am 
I've got my Canon 600d/T3i now! Loving it so far!!! Any suggestions for filmmaking techniques/settings with this camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 am 

Apeture Priority, and a wide Depth of feild if you dont want to manually focus all the time. Unless Im doing a rehearsed shoot, then I drop my apeture number as fas as I can and pull focus when I need to.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 am 

So you let your camera pick the shutter speed?

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:25 am 

I think the shutter speed is determined by the fps - so 25 or 50.

When it comes to cinematography, the amount of light being consistently funneled through is more important of the light will just go light dark light dark light dark

If you have a video camera and move outside, the image whites out b4 it re adjusts the apeture, not hte shutter speed. If you watch how they do it in Hollywood, there is a VERY quick apeture pull and also a sometimes they cut it b4 you step outside. Obviously this is fixed with lights.

I never shot a video with shutter priority anyway, the amount of varience whe the camera moves can really be a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 am 

Leo wrote:
I think the shutter speed is determined by the fps - so 25 or 50.

Not when you're shooting Aperture Priority, as you recommended in your previous post. Aperture Priority (Av) means you set the aperture and the camera sets everything else.

Oh, wait a sec. I must be missing something. Sorry, I don't own a T3i, but I don't know how one would even shoot movies with the mode dial set to Av (and not to the movie camera icon).

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:06 am 

Even in Av mode, the Movie mode asks you to select 25fps, 30, 50 or 60fps in the menu.

In movie modes for digital HDV systems, the Shutter is preselected despite your mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:29 am 

So with the mode dial at Av, you can still shoot movies ... I'm guessing by pressing the movie button? I didn't know that.

Thanks - Mark