Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 pm 
The sensor at this point on both the ZS15 and ZS20 remains unclear. Some have referenced the sensor from the FZ150 going in the ZS15 while others think it is in the ZS20. Although the press release indicates the ZS20 has "newly developed 14.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS sensor"

Either way, I am more impressed in what Panasonic has does with their TZ/ZS line than Canon has done with the SX...F3.5-6.8 lens :-(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:39 pm 

Gordon,

Not so much on this forum; but on other forums there seems to be more interest in the ZS15 than in the ZS20. A lot of us would really appreciate a review on the lesser model as we perceive it as more of an enthusiast camera.

Please! :D

Best Regards,

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:39 am 
Actually interested in seeing a review on both, otherwise we will never have any idea how the compare. For all we know at this point, the ZS20 could end up being better than the ZS15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:47 am 

Ok, time for me to hit the roa... ehhh button.

I just arrived here, searching for information about my (99% shure..) new TZ30 camera.

Atm im using a TZ3 that i realy like (although it has some flaws).

Some information about me:
How i ended up here??
Well, it started about 33 years ago when i took the decision to buy a Nikon from my first salary :P (my father had a nikon so....)

Well, that darn shop owner realy messed me up with the question:
WHY Nikon??? and WHAT kind of photografer do you WANT to be??

i still hate that guy, but as all know, love and hate are close :P

to get short, after over one hour explaination why hé!! thought i was a OLYMPUS personality... i went home with a "Olympus OM2n "on trial"

I never gave it back, and loved it for many years, and the irritating guy kept on smiling when i entered the shop for more films (Fuji) and a snd OM2n (and many olympus lenses) so i could always take 2 different films with me.

Than Olympus scr#$#@# me by NOT developing a digi-body for my lenses,
excuse??-cant be done- that in my opinion is B.S.
prove? i bought a cheapo TRUST digibody, saw it open, did some remodeling, fitted a olympus ring, and WHAM... i created my own digicam for my 35mm.
All well end well?? nope quality was stil TRUST and 28mm become somewhat 55mm, my 50mm went about 100mm etc etc. but it was nice playing with it :P

I made a promise to myself NEVER ever going back to Olympus. . . .

So finaly made it in the digiworld by buying a... panasonicTZ3, and man , i love it that a full case with lenses ( i had..) fits in my chest-pocket :)
I almost never leave house without it, and i dont wanna go back to a cam that doesnt fit in my pocket although i realze that bigger cams mostly give better quallity pics. No doubt about that.

So, here i am, ready to step up to the TZ30, hoping it wont be a dissapointing test.

@ maartensfs
man, those where lovely pics, im going to china this year and hope to see the same nice enviroment as you showed on your pics.
Armed with TZ30 and a TZ3 in my wife's hands

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:35 am 
Site Admin

Welcome on-board bonobo, and interesting background you have there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:49 am 
Thanks Bonobo. I had been considering upgrading from the ZS7 to a DSLR, but didn't want to go from a pocketable camera to something that would limit what I could do and where I could go on a trip.

I ended up getting an FZ150 and have been AMAZED. It's more bulky than the ZS7, but well worth it. The ZS15/20 will probably not compare speed-wise. If I can't take the photo with this 25-600mm lense then it's not worth taking (if I have to haul that much gear around). In the future I wouldn't mind a slightly wider lense, but not if we sacrifice the speed.

Part of the reason why the FZ150 is such a great camera is this speed and image stabilisation without which I wouldn't be able to get these shots I'm getting of village children, wildlife, etc.

I think you will not be disappointed in a China trip. My best advice: stay clear from the tourist traps and spend more time in the south-west. Guangxi, Guizhou, Hainan, and Yunnan are all amazing provinces. I detest the big cities. If the ZS7 had a faster framerate and longer zoom, I may have stayed with that. The ZS15/20 may be your ticket. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:00 am 
Site Admin

PS - I will also review the ZS15 / TZ25, although it may need to be done by ken in the UK as it won't be available in NZ. They're going with the TZ20 / ZS10 as the 'lower-end' model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm 

Darn,,, oepsy, sorry blame it on the fact that im dutch :oops:

what happened?? well, i saw a first impression of my next (uche uche) camera TZ30.
After 2 times NOT a realy spectaculair upgrade from Panasonic 10 > 20... ( i didnt buy them)
i thought NOW they HAVE to strike back to the competition and finish them off.

But sadly im NOT getting cold shivers from what i saw, so, i have to redo my homework...

(dont you dare to laugh Maarten... i knów what you are thinking.... and others :wink: )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:18 am 
;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:41 am 

AAArrggg, i jumped out of the TZ30 plane, and see a field right below me with other brands pocket travelzoom's

but léft of it , i can see people with FZ150 waving and shouting at me...

and ríght of it.. ppl walking trough the field, searching for reviews of the Nikon P510,

I hope the shute will keep me long enough in the air, so i wont i fall into the wrong hands :P

Post subject: Re: ZS15/TZ25
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:49 am 

I bought one! At first, i had mixed emotions about it. On the one hand, it's nice in the hand with good ergonomics and it looks very well turned out. On the other hand, however, Panasonic has reverted to a ZS3 sort of control philosophy. At default, I feel the settings need a little extra sharpening - but there is no sharpening controls, not contrast, nor saturation, nor tint. Iwas on the verge of sending it back, when I decided to try the "i Resolution" setting. It worked quite well, probably as well as a dedicated in-camera sharpening setting would. I also tried it with Vivid in the Color Mode settings. Vivid adds sharpening, so the addition of i res. put it over the top. I found that, although there is no flash exposure compensation, the exposure compensation setting affects the flash as well. So there you are: a stylish, good handling camera with a very nice 3" LCD, and a lack of enthusiast controls; but a couple of good work arounds.

Oh, almost forgot, the pictures. With the addition of i Resolution the pictures it takes are sharp and contrasty with very nice color. Noise is quite low at high ISO and without reducing detail too much. Very much like my FZ150. I do believe the ZS15 uses the same sensor as the FZ150. The ZS20 definitely does not!

Bottom line, I am keeping the ZS15 and have sold the SX230HS. :D

Regards,

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, i've now completed my Panasonic ZS20 / TZ30 review!

See my Panasonic ZS20 / TZ30 review!

PS - more superzoom reviews coming soon...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:35 pm 

Hi! This is the first time I post something in a forum. I would like to know more about the Lumix ZS15. I already own the Lumix G3 and the Lumix FZ150 and Iove both but I would like a much smaller camera for traveling. The most important factor for me is the image quality and portability. Gordon said that he would review the ZS15 but I think he forgot. Any way, he has so many other cameras to review, may be he didn't have the time to do it, yet. The ZS 20 doesn't interest me because of the image quality which is not so good, it seems, and I don't want a GPS in my camera. Is there anybody who bought the ZS15 who could tell me more about the image quality?

Thank you. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, for all those interested in the cheaper model, here's our Panasonic ZS15 / TZ25 review!