Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wich Memory
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:37 pm 
For my 40D, I am not sure wich CF card to get.
2Gb
4GB
8GB
12GB
16GB
Please help me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:56 pm 

Whats your price range? In my opinion, you should get several 1 gb cards, that way of you loose a card, or it breaks you only loose have your photos or what ever, where as when you have a 16gb if it goes bad or you lose all your images. Commercial advertising photographer, Chase Jarvis, says he always uses 2 and rotates them every other day so you'll have half your images from every other day if a card goes bad.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:40 pm 
JakeOConnell wrote:
Whats your price range? In my opinion, you should get several 1 gb cards, that way of you loose a card, or it breaks you only loose have your photos or what ever, where as when you have a 16gb if it goes bad or you lose all your images. Commercial advertising photographer, Chase Jarvis, says he always uses 2 and rotates them every other day so you'll have half your images from every other day if a card goes bad.

I am not sure about price, but I was thinking about the 16, if not th 8.Is 1gb enough, I think at least a 2gb, when it comes to a 10MP camera 1gb is kind of small, for a 12MP camera it can only store 128.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:00 pm 

If you can afford it Kriss, go for the 8GB. That is the sweet-spot price-wise. And it's big enough to go out without caring about second mem-chip. Put it in your cam and forget about it, instead of hassling with 2 or more chips :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:05 pm 
I got a 8gb, but regret it now. I know I will probably shoot that many photos in one trip. I also have a 4gb, and that seems to be the best capacity. Or 2x 2gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Kriss, it all depends how many photos you want to take before having to change the card. Personally I still mostly use a load of older 1GB cards as I subscribe to the 'don't put your eggs in one basked' train of thought!

That said, I'd probably now buy 2s or 4s...

PS - You also mentioned a 40D - was that a typo or have you actually now swapped your Nikon D40 for a Canon 40D?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:14 am 
the canon eos 40d does not have full use of 16 GB cards it will only allow you to use 8GB so if i were you i would go for at least a 4GB and maybe consider the 8GB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:58 am 
Thanks all of you.I go to airshow's and spotting, and I come home with lots of pics,From one airshow I came back with about 600 pics, but spotting just most of the time 200 pics, so I hope the 8gb will help me.Once again thank you all.