Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 pm 

I also am trying to decide between the Fujifilm X10 and the Powershot G1X. Gordon's photos are pretty compelling evidence for the G1X.

One thing not listed in ianganderton's comparison chart is the burst mode. dpreview has the Fuji X10 listed at 7 FPS compared to the G1X's 1.9 in continuous shooting mode. Also the manual zoom seems fast and handy. Decisions...decisions....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:03 pm 

Manual zoom... yeah - it's faster but if you decide to shoot videos the motorized zoom is quite a bit smoother. And with the G1X it's possible to get some fast bursts (6fps...?) - in this case the buffer is filled after little more than a second but very often that's all the time you need.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:24 am 

I'm not happy with the sample images. Six images of guys jumping in the air on their bikes tells us only so much. One of the best tests of a camera's ability to take sharp images is to photograph trees or foliage at a distance. If the photographer had simply pointed the camera at the trees or the landscape and snapped some pictures, we would have more informative sample images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:42 am 
Site Admin

Patience Caleb, please.

I will of course be publishing my usual gallery shots for the G1X, but the weather here has been poor. Hence the low light ones only. I also had the chance to shoot at a world BMX event last weekend, so thought some of you might find it fun to see some photos from an action environment. Clearly you didn't, but hopefully some others found it useful.

I'll add the usual outdoor gallery samples when the weather improves.

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, in case you've not spotted it already, I've also posted a high ISO noise comparison between the G1X and the G12:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... oise.shtml

Many more results coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:44 am 

Thank you for adding the additional sample pictures!

I'm seeing halos in the pictures, something I've always hated. I assume that's from the in-camera JPG processing. I'm curious to know what RAW images from the camera look like (RAW images with minimal post-processing).

From my years of fixing up product pictures, I know that a picture can be sharpened without producing halos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:03 am 

If you visit Gordon's reviews a bit more oftenly, you'd known that Gordon often makes a comparison between the JPEG and a (simple) processed RAW.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 am 

Yes, I know that.

Talking about the sample images, I notice that the water looks noisy to me. One thing I've noticed about images from really excellent cameras is that water always has a smooth appearance (unless the water itself is frothy); but the water in these pictures doesn't look so smooth to me. I'm hoping that the RAW images will show something better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:16 am 

The sample movies page is interesting but, while reading the sneak preview of the comparisons with other models and the "G1 X Final thoughts" I asked myself why the G1 X still appeals to me more than the Panasonic Lumix GX1. On the face of it the GX1 has a lot going for it and it features interchangeable lenses. But there's the rub: if I bought a GX1 I'd also effectively be buying into a lens system (as the 14-42mm wouldn't be enough) and so effectively committing to micro four-thirds. If I bought a G1 X then all CSC options remain open and I can wait and see what announcements come along later in the year...

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:21 am 

What does CSC mean?

If you buy a G1 X, then you have no lens options at all.

=========

Oh, it means Compact System Camera, right? Okay, but the point remains, if you buy the Canon G1 X, that doesn't have a removable lens, so you have no lens options at all unless you buy two cameras.

=========

By the way, as I compare images on various sites, it is becoming clear to me that the Sony NEX-7 has the best image quality of these advanced compacts. Even the Foveon sensor from the Sigma SD1, which will come out in a compact camera soon (hopefully), doesn't offer up as much detail as the NEX-7 -- which is interesting because the Foveon technology, and the lack of an AA filter, should give the Sigma camera an advantage.

Last edited by Caleb Murdock on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:38 am 

Hi Caleb,

That's exactly the point. The G1 X would offer me enough flexibility in terms of focal length. Not ideal but good enough for something to stuff in a coat pocket. But if I rearranged the letters and went GX1 I'd almost certainly want to buy a second lens. Not only would that make the Panasonic solution less pocket friendly but it would be harder to financially justify also buying into a non micro four-thirds CSC later on. Irrational it may be but I've never got my head around the 4:3 aspect ration of micro four-thirds. Excellent cameras but as a "system camera" probably not for me.

Bob.

P.S. CSC - Compact System Camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:45 am 

I am finding the G1 X appealing simply because I have used so many Canon compacts that I find Canon designs familiar.

I don't really care what aspect ratio my camera has as long as the images are crisp and clear. But money does matter to me.

You may not have noticed my comment above, but I think the Sony NEX-7 probably has the best image quality of the bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:57 am 

Hi Caleb,

I did miss your comment (sorry) but I also find the NEX-7 very appealing as part of a full "system" but it doesn't offer me a native ultra-wide and Sony haven't, so far as I'm aware, promised one yet. But that's a subject for another thread, I guess, as Gordon would rightly slap my knuckles if I took his G1 X thread off-topic into a discussion about the Sony NEX. Whether the NEX system could compete against the G1 X's strengths is a moot point. Canon may be in the "naughty corner" so far as I'm concerned for not announcing a CSC yet but they've certainly spotted a niche with the G1 X.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:02 am 

Well, I consider the G1 X to be a CSC, but that's another discussion. I think that all large-sensor compacts should be part of that group.

I'm off to bed now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi Caleb, the naming terminology is certainly confusing.

CSC stands for Compact System Camera, where the system part refers to interchangeable lenses. Likewise ILC is Interchangeable Lens Camera.

I've started using the term CSC for all small cameras with interchangeable lenses, which means I can't use it to describe the G1 X. It'll just have to be a large sensor compact (LSC?!!) in my review.

I hope to publish Ken McMahon's review of the NEX-7 soon, but as Bob says, the current problem with the NEX system is the lack of lens variety and lack of physically small lenses. The bodies may be small, but the lenses are DSLR sized due to the APS-C sensor. That's the rub.

I'm personally really enjoying M4/3 at the moment as I'm testing a lot of different lenses and enjoying the flexibility. You'll see some results and articles from me soon.

In the meantime I need to complete my G1 X review, which means more samples coming soon! If the weather behaves, I may even have my tripod-based outdoor shots and videos today.

I'm also looking into the possibility of making the occassional RAW file available to download. If you could choose just one of the images on the gallery page as a RAW file to download, which would you like?

No promises, but I am looking into it!

Gordon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next