Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:04 am 
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't replace the D300s. The D300 has been around since 2008 and gone for over 3 years without a major update. I don't feel that the D300s is a proper upgrade, more of an incremental one. The D300/s was previously the backup camera for pros that had a D3 but they have the D700/800 to fill that role now. This coupled with the the D7000s inclusion of some advanced features means that the D300s line is not as relevant as it used to be. Leaving the D400 out would also make it very clear that DX is for amateurs/beginners and the FX bodies are for pros or serious enthusiasts.

Last edited by grahamnp on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:05 pm 

I tend to agree with your kind of argumentation Graham!
Luring the crowd to FX with a 1700$/EUR Volks-FX certainly would separate Nikon from the the rest of the crowd. Although Sony is/was also in for some action in this segment.
I really don't know, what Nikon should do in this situation. But the D300s at the moment certainly looks like the least attractive body in the D7000-and-above range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:08 pm 

Hmm, nice confirmation of my train of thought from Thom Hogan: "Many think there won't be a camera between those[D7000 and D800], but I'm 100% sure there will be. The price gap is too large, and it's too easy for Canon, Sony, and Pentax to use that to advantage if it's not plugged. There needs to be a camera at somewhere between US$1700 and US$2000 in Nikon's lineup."
And he goes on:
"The question is whether that will be a high-end DX or a low-end FX. History and price say that it will be DX and called a D400. But Nikon's been on an aggressive bent lately. It's not out of the question for them to pull an FX rabbit out of the hat."
(Almost) my words! So the bets are on: D400 or D750?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am 
I would love for Nikon to release a product for every possible niche and price point but I can't help but think that they'd be shooting themselves in the foot with a "D750" so soon after the D800 launch. Remember the Sony A850 Thomas? I don't know what the sales figures are but the comments on forums at the time seemed to suggest that anyone who might have bought an A900 ended up buying an A850 instead.

The Verge reports that there are rumours of Nikon releasing even more models this year. The D800's 36mp sensor has the same pixel density as the D7000. If their claim of D700 level performance is true then it is possible to have last-gen FX level performance in a DX sensor body. Seems to me like a lot of people have no genuine need of a high pixel count sensor but will gladly except better noise performance. This seems especially true amongst amateurs and enthusiast shooters. The D7000 will be 2 years old this year and ready for replacement, perhaps with a model that cements its position as the flagship DX body. Maybe it will get a new sensor with near equal performance to the D700? I know I'd like one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:52 pm 

Graham: Personally I believe that when Nikon plugs the hole between a D7000 and the D800 with a DX-body (aka D400) it might go for the current 24MP Sony-Sensor.
After all the message with the D800 was clear: more pixels give you more flexibility. So they might end up using a 24MP sensor in a D400 as a major differentiator against the D7100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:47 am 
Maybe Nikon can wring out more performance like they normally do. The A77 isn't too impressive. Amazing to think that my camera's "great grandson" might have 2.4x the pixel count.