Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:09 pm 

No, this isn't posted in the wrong section. Firmly in the realm of speculation but this AP article starts:
    YOKOHAMA – Panasonic is restructuring its compact system camera (CSC) line-up to include a 'very high-end model', mindful of the threat posed by the predicted entry of Canon into the CSC battleground.
and later on says that:
    Kitao said he is not worried about most of the other brands, but admits that Sony is a threat and so will Canon be if the company launches its CSC - expected to be this year.
All speculation but it's interesting that Panasonic is apparently shaping policy to guard against what it thinks Canon will do. How good Panasonic's intelligence is remains to be seen...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:47 am 

Yay! Finally! As I posted back in 2009:

Quote:
My main concern here has to do with what Panasonic's business strategy seems to be. i.e. they seem to be viewing Olympus' m4/3 offerings as their competition ... when in fact Pany's competition is Canon, Nikon, Pentax and every other non-m4/3 camera out there...

Long story short, unless Pany realizes that 50% of a large market is better than 100% of a small market, I don't see the m4/3 platform ever growing beyond a niche.

This news also bodes well for the GH3 - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:10 am 

It seems interesting, but I remember growing up in the 90's when film cameras were sort of winding down and lots of companies started fading behind others like Holga and Lomo etc... then in the late 90's to early 2000's the who digital thing started kicking off for consumers.

My thinking is, the companies that survived were nikon, canon, olympus among others and some companies NOW are making combacks like Leica with its consuper friendly M and R series that I never heard about between the gap that was the 90's and even thought they still made cameras, when people walk into a store they only ever see 3-4 brands and thats sort of it really.

I wonder if this saturation in the CSC market will kill off companies like in the film days. I mean we are seeing the end of Kodak and saw the unfotunate buying out of Pentax.

I personally dont see markets being small or large, I see them as how much saturation a market can handle. I mean thats how companies fail, they invest too much into a market and sell nothing. Thats why M4/3 is so popular because Olympus has cornered this market and doing a damn fine job of it after it was booted out of the standard 4/3 market.

I wonder what Canon will release to see just what effectiveness the Panasonic Brand will have on the market. For the time being, Oly sensors are selling like crazy.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net