Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:36 pm 

I think the 70-200/2.8 VRII is good for 1.4x TC max on a 12MP DX body. On a 16MP DX-body I'd suggest to abstain from a TC at all. The same should be true on a D800.
I'm not saying the 70-200/2.8 VRII is a weak lens. On the contrary! It is just not ideally suited for TCs on bodies with pixel densities of a D7000 or a D800 imho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:10 am 
I appreciate all of the great input. I am trying the combo with my d300s in hopes of replacing my overly-cumbersome prime lenses. I know there won't be the level of performance that I am used to, but was hoping to have a hand-holdable solution superior to the Sigma 150-500 OS.

If it really is bad, I'll trade the TC for credit against the Wimberly that I will need for a 500 f4 that I've been eyeing. (Though I will wait to see how that works on the d800 as well. I suspect that current generation lenses will be showing their upper limits.)

Post subject: Nikon D800E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:17 am 
I have been taking pictures with a Nikon since 1986. Then it was an FE and F3. I got an inspection contract on an existing bridge, and the contract required that I provide photographs of many parts of this four lane 6300' long structure.

I bought the F3 and a Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8 Micro. So, now I was a professional photographer that had to wait a few days to find out if what I had shot was useful, or if I had to go back and re-shoot.

Fast forward over thirty years of shooting that F3 all over the world, and using only Kodachrome 25 or Fuji 50, always have to wait on processing to see what I had.

In 2009 I wondered it digital camera's had progressed to the point of approaching the resolution of Kodachrome 25, so I bought a Nikon D90. The answer was no. Last year I sold it and bought a D7000. Still no. Now it is being sold.

I have ordered a D800E. Just maybe I'll get to see colors and resolution to rival Fuji 50. That would be answered prayer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:47 am 
Good luck with that. I feel like you're comparing apples to digital oranges.

So far I'm diggin the high iso performance. It definitely looks $2000 better than the d7000 especially in the high ISO area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:00 am 

Hi dhale,

Fantastic. I hope that you find time outside normal working hours to share your experience with the D800E. No AA filter would be a problem for some and a blessing for others (I think I'd fall in the latter camp) and a comparison between IQ from Kodachrome 25 and the D800E will be a fascinating read. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Nikon D800E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 pm 
Mr. Anderson,

I really wish there could be a direct comparison of digital to film. I do not have the equipment to do that. I like to print each at 20" x 30" and compare. If I scan the film slide and compare that, it obviously is not a direct comparison.

I shot some stuff at Yellowstone NP last summer with the D7000 and Nikkor 70-200mm 1:2.8 VR II. It is amazing how good that stuff looks. Even at 100% crop images out of the D7000 look really good.

I have been planning this move to FX for three years. So, I have bought all FX lenses except two. I am selling them now, but I may keep the Nikkor 10-24mm DX. I really like that lens.

Thank you for the comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:38 pm 

Hi dhale,

I didn't express myself too well. I was just picking up on your comment about Kodachrome 25 and hoping that the D800E will be your "answered prayer".

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:37 pm 

About date of delivery: Currently NikonRumors quotes "According to Yodobashi camera (Japan) the Nikon D800 will start shipping on March 22nd, the D800E on April 12, 2012"
That doesn't bode well for delivery in Europe as the transport should add a few days in all countries.
In the UK Amazon is listing delivery date (for the D800) as March 26th. That seems to look OK.
FYI: 22nd of March is a Thursday, 26th a Monday.
Let's keep our fingers crossed that there's no delay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:18 pm 

And another word from the wise (Thom Hogan) re moire:
"Shooting in and around cities and shooting people that aren't nude makes you susceptible to moire. Moreover, you're not likely to see it at capture time: you'd need to be constantly zooming the playback on the LCD to see it, and 36mp is a pretty big mess of pixels to try to examine closely on the 3.2" LCD. Simply put: removing moire is way harder than adding perceived acuity through sharpening. Way."
That fits nicely with what I think...

Post subject: Move to FX- Soon.....
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:11 am 

Here's to Camera Labs, my favorite photo site! I went through the Camera Labs links today and bought a Nikon 50MM 1.8 lens, Nikon 77mm ND and Polarizing filter set, 52-77mm adapter to mount the filters on the 50mm lens, all at Adorama ~$325. This purchase pretty much closes the door on the 5D2 and Fuji x Pro 1....for now. If you get a minute, have a look at the learning center on the adorama site. The D4 review includes noteworthy example images to say the very least.

I decided the D700 had the IQ edge over the 5D2 here at Camera Labs some time ago so for me, Nikon it is. I've been hunting for a good deal on a D700. Craigs list prices are hanging around $2K for bodies with 8 to 20K clicks in the LA area- somewhat higher on ebay. Unless I find a D700 15Kclicks/$1,500 by early May, I'm in for the D800.
I spent some time on the D800/e site with the 800 vs 800e stone walk way shot blown up side by side in two firefox windows. For me, the increase in fidelity (mostly edges of things) of the e is not worth the risk of moiré.

The hunt for a full frame is revealing some 5D2 price decay. Near new examples under 10K clicks for ~$1,800 are pretty much a daily thing on craigs list. d800 killer on the way?

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr

Last edited by MrCliff on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:55 pm 

I wish you luck: Either finding a cheap D700 or getting yourself a brand-spanking new D800, MrCliff!
---
I've found an interesting tidbit about mirror-up mode in the 20 page D800 Technical Guide from Nikon:
Mirror-up seems to have a new twist: You can set
Exposure-Delay Mode from off to 1...3 seconds. The system will then delay the exposure after you pressed the release-button a 2nd time so that the system (camera+lens+tripod) has more time to settle. Which is irrelevant if you use a remote release.
And everything will be w/o blur...
---
P.S.: the current family of bodies can only have exposure delay OFF or ON at 1 second (fixed).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:20 pm 

Other nice findings in that guide:
"Resolution can be improved by disabling high ISO noise reduction (page 11), particularly at low ISO sensitivities." And I thought the camera would do this automatically :twisted:
And here's one that took me a bit longer to digest. It is about tweaking the minimum shutter speed in the improved Auto ISO sensitivity control, that now can automatically adapt the min shutter speed depending on focal length of lens (p. 12):
"choose whether the camera gives priority to shutter speed (Slower) or ISO sensitivity (Faster) when Auto is selected."
Hmm: I would have expected that giving shutter speed a priority in effect means that the shutter times will tend to be faster (and thus ISO higher) in this setting :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:07 pm 

Any insite as to how the user stores settings and then quickly recalls them? I use and adjust the U1 and U2 user config selector on the P90 often. Wonder how to do the equivalent with the D800.

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:16 pm 

Afaik the manual is only available in Japanese up to now, unfortunately.
So we would not know for some time, unless a reader does the translation...
Anybody?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:57 pm 
Quote:
Thomas wrote:
On another note: Ken (Rockwell, that is) is going gaga over the D800. Quote: "Actually, I'm opting for the D800E because I test lenses for a living." Now there he totally looses it, although he brags about being an engineer and all. If you test lenses or any other equipment transforming analog real-world signals into the digital domain you would want to avoid aliasing artifacts like the devil. Because they introduce false signals into your test-results and invalidate them.
So much for sound, scientifically approved test setups Sad
Expect some serious bragging from Ken about the ultimate in sharpness that he has found without knowing whether he was seeing artifacts or real resolution. Sad!

Thomas, where did you see it? This is what I read and it seemed to me that he was actually preferring just a regular D800:

Quote:
Ken Rockwell wrote:
The D800E is for tweaks and professional lens testers like me. I wouldn't spend my extra money on it unless I either was a tweak, or really had my technique down and printed at 30 x 45" all day. If you're shooting at f/11 or smaller, or printing at least several feet or meters wide, you'll never see the extra sharpness of the D800E, but everyone will see the D800E's moiré at any print size on fabrics or screens. If you're a tweak, you'll love the D800E, but for photography and for normal people, stick with theD800 for better pictures.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next