Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:02 pm 
Hello

I would like to know why is the Nikkor MF 50mm F/1.4 more expensive (if i buy it new) than the Nikkor AF-S 50mm F/1.4G ??

It has no Focus, you have to manually focus the Lens and it has the same Aparture. So what makes the older Lens cost more than the newer Lens?

Thanks for a logical answer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm 

It isn't produced anymore and thus, is quite rare. Aside from that some may feel the optics and build are better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 am 

I'm far from the 'older generation', but I'm amazed by the PS3 generation that is SO anti Manual Focus!

Try it sometime!

Perhaps the increase in DSLR video popluarity means that older MF lenses have gained a little value. Certainly from a build point of view alone, smooth and precise focussing on a Manual Focus lens is far easier than an autofocus lens (which have a little play and slack)

Also - try autofocussing at night with one of these new fangled super duper autofocus lenses on pro-sumer camera body. I think you'll find manual focus may be quicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:57 am 

And are you talking about the MF 50mm f1.2 anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:37 pm 
Nope i am talking about the Nikkor MF 50mm f/1.4... I do understand why that the f/1.2 is so expensive (selling on ebay for 405£). But the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 is still getting sold in stores here.
It's strange to me.

Edit: PS3 generation?