Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:33 am 

OK, I am about to make my venture into a Flash gun for my camera and probably starting with a 430EXII. I'm still trying to decide on my remote triggering, I know interfered or wireless triggers. Now I know this may sound funny but what kind of stand do I need to look for to mount the flash and a reflector? I was looking on BandH but their lighting selection is so large I don't know what a basic stand would be called or what mounting hardware you need to accomplish it.

So just to give you an idea of what I want to do...I have some friends with motorcycles and I want to set them up here in El Paso and catch a good sunset back behind the hills. I'm thinking I face the motorcycle with a full profile and set the flash and reflector at 45-deg or 30-deg from me and the bike. I think this should give some side lighting and make a good contrast with the great colors in the sunsets from around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:34 am 
With the canon flashes you get a little widget that can either be used to have the flash self standing on a surface or, because it has a tripos screw thread in the bottom, tripod mounting.

I've used my gorrilapod very successfully with my flash unit, I could also use my big tripod. Shooting MX action is similar to mountain biking. I wouldnt mount my camera on my tripod for this so it would be free for flash use.

I've got a set of non ETTL wireless triggers that have been excellent.

Get Sly Arena's book too, its invaluable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:11 pm 

Cool, so I can use my extra tri-pod for my flash mount. Now what about a reflector/umbrella, do they come with mounting hardware?

YES! His book is next on my list. I just got my Photoshop book I'm after. I'll probably order the flash and book at the same time.

Thanks Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:06 pm 

There are different weights of stands. A basic one would be fine for Speedlites, just watch it doesn't blow over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:14 pm 

If you have a spare tripod, that is good, as they are steadier than the light-weight light stands. An example of a standard umbrella bracket is a Manfrotto 026. You will need to use one of the "brass monkey" fittings to attach to the tripod's threaded bolt, on which to then mount the 026, and another to attach the flash to the stand, if I remember correctly. (I think the 026 includes the brass fittings in the package.) I nearly bought an 026 last weekend, but decided to do a bit more research first.

There are other brackets; I am considering a Lastolite Triflash, which holds up to three flashguns and an umbrella.

When I have used remote flash on a second tripod thus far, I have not used modifiers, but inspired by Syl Arena's and Joe McNally's books, and tutorials videos from Joe McNally and Zack Arias, plus some local coaching by Sonny of the Pixtus forum, I am about to start. :)

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 pm 

The tripod would have to rise to the required height of course. My domestic ones won't, I don't think. Light stands are much more portable.