Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:38 am 

Very well written indeed. Congratulations once again. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:03 pm 

Thanks for the heads-up, Bob!
Well written article, Bjorn! Can't wait for your review...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:11 pm 

My sincere apologies for not replying to this thread for such a long time everyone, university got really busy for a while... :)

Now, for some replies:
Bob, thanks for posting the link here, and for the kind words. Gordon asked me to postpone publicizing on Google+ for a half day, and it didn't occur to me I could share it here already.

Thomas, thank you! Don't expect the review to be quite as elaborate as Gordon's, rather than only telling people what I think I will encourage them to visit one of Leica's boutiques and try it for themselves. That's the only way to understand the magic of a Leica. For now I just have to shoot with it a lot, and make sure that I can write a proper evaluation of the camera.
As for full res pictures, you might see a couple of those from time to time. The way I process my pictures is not that good for pixel-level quality, so I'd have to share only color pictures at full res.

Thank you Carlos, lagnificent and maxjj for the kind words! Everybody from those on Google+ to my former English teacher complimented me on the writing. Who knows, that novel might become reality after all...

There's two main reasons macjim. Firstly, for my street photography, I need a discrete camera. You'll often see people taping up their M9 to disguise it, and I didn't want to do that. The lack of a red dot makes the camera look even older, and many people seem to not mind having their picture taken with an old camera. Instead, they're surprised to see someone using an old camera (even though it is far from old). More importantly though, I thought to myself: if I buy the M9, will I find myself wishing I'd bought the M9-P. The answer is yes. The price difference in Europe is not as bad as in the States, and I figured I might as well. Happy I did, the M9-P is exactly what a digital M should look like.

Ross, thank you so much for your reply. I could not imagine having to give up my M, so I am sure you long for a new one very much. Cartier-Bresson is a major source of inspiration for me, and while I am hard at work developing a style of my own, I am glad to hear it has an HCB-quality to it. He was a true photographic genius and to only be able to do half as good as he did would be wonderful. Geometry is something that his work got me really interested in and I try to implement it into my photography as much as I can, which is proving to be quite the challenge.

Ivan, funnily enough, ever since I got the M9-P I saw an immediate transition to landscape orientation. The camera shoots much more naturally that way, and somehow I now see my compositions in landscape too. Whether it will have any effect on my photography, I don't know yet, again, I'll have to shoot with it much more to find out.

Thank you for sharing your Leica story bom, that's very touching, and indicative of the quality of Ms too (passing them on from father to son). I guess you'll just have to take lots of pictures of your dad with the M6. Or print and frame your best shots for him as a surprise present.

I like the suggestions for reflective vests and a pinkenta paint job, but going unnoticed is still my preferred way to shoot. Of course, if that doesn't result in decent pictures, I'll put on a crazy hat and clown clothing and experiment...

Thanks again everyone of leaving such great comments! The response and attention for the article has been overwhelming, I am very happy to all enjoyed it!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:28 pm 

I can only repeat what I've been saying on G+. The article is well written and whilst reading it, yes, the anticipation grew.

Beautiful shots as well and what struck me most was going back to the roots. It's like being 'limited' to the core of photography. You and the camera in perfect harmony.

I still love shooting film with my dad's 1977 Fujica and it gives me great pleasure. As Bjoern said less intrusive and it just works. All I need to do is select shutter speed and focus.

So thanks for sharing the article Bjoern and keep shooting. One question. have you insured your Leica? It might not be obvious but just in case someone tries to nick it. And if you go in March let's meet for coffee! And visit Leica :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:55 pm 

Thank you for all the articles, Bjorn. Your joy about your camera's mechanics is so understandable and took me back to the solid steam engine feeling of my first and used SLR from the 60s.

regards,
HTG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:06 pm 

Thanks HTG!

Thanks Cris! I did get the camera insured, yes. I live near Rotterdam and go to university there every day. It's not exactly a city known for low crime, let me put it that way. Wouldn't want to go out with a 9000 euro camera that doesn't have insurance.
In fact, the way I did it is that as soon as I got the camera, I texted my parents to go to the bank and arrange the insurance. Had it insured even before I got home! It was a four hour drive back home and I wanted to be safe, haha! :D

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:42 pm 

That's the way to do it! Clever man! How's your study going? Any art galleries that knocked at your door yet? :)

And please keep shooting ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:07 pm 

Study is going very well, though it takes too much time away from photography (or indeed any other time of extracurricular activities). Really busy on my bachelor thesis right now, which is also the reason I'm the most inactive moderator here at CL...

The only exhibition I've ever had was at university, in the hall before the library, so thousands of students could see the pictures. Wasn't really serious work though, so like many of us photogs, I'm excited for the day I get approached by a gallery...

- Bjorn -