Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GX1 review
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:13 am 

Hope you have comparison btwn GX1 and G3!

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:54 am 
I wonder if this GX1 would be a step up the ladder from my faithful LX5?

Curious.

Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Hi Pat, it'll be a big step up in quality, and has 1080i video and a touch-screen, but it is bigger and heavier and the lens on your LX5 is brighter and has a bigger zoom range.

That said, the GX1 plus 14-42mm power zoom is a lovely combo!

Post subject: Hold out for the GX1?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:43 pm 
Hello Gordon,

I am a previous photography enthusiast in a former life, however in the past few years I have been much more focused on other things, but hoping to get back in to it. My previous camera is an old nikkormat of my fathers. not actually sure of the model even. But I digress. I am now hoping to get into the digital realm (have only had some basic P&S previously which have been replaced by an iPhone).
I am very intrigued by the portability but flexibility/lens options of the 4/3 and/or the mirrorless APC cameras. Have been doing some reading and it seems like the GX1 may be the right compromise in terms of price and options. I like the idea of manual dials. Of course perhaps one eventually finds the touch screen controls totally intuitive and that is the way to go. After searching through reviews I think I have basically whittled down to either the GX1 or the NEX-5N.
In your opinion which do you think the best option? Are their other cameras that you think would be an even better bet, like the samsung NX200 or the DMC-GH2? Or something else entirely?
Thank you much for your help.

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi Sean, welcome on-board!

I think you've picked two of the best ILCs around. Both will delight!

A lot depends on which system you prefer. Micro Four Thirds has more lenses at the moment and also three motorised zooms, which are great for video. But that big sensor on the NEX is also very tempting.

My GX1 review is well underway, but I already have lots of information and samples in my preview at:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... x_DMC_GX1/

Meanwhile, you can see an image quality comparison between them in my 5N review - and be sure to read the comparisons in the verdict too...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_NEX_5N/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:44 pm 
Hey Gordon.

Any word on when the GX1 review will be up?

Like a few others here, I can't work out what to go for between the GX1 and the NEX-5N. This whole micro four-thirds having more lenses is just confusing the heck out of me!

HELP! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:44 am 
Hi Gordon,

I'm also interested in the GX1, been doing some research and the GX1 fulfills my requirements of good image quality, fast AF, interchangeable lenses in a compact camera. Pity it's not available with a twin lens kit. Just waiting for your review before I buy.

Enjoyed your reviews on the Nikon V1 and Sony Nex5.

Russell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've just finished my complete review!

NEW! Panasonic GX1 review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:31 am 
Hey Gordon,

Have you ever compare the image quality between Oly EP-L3 and Pen GX-1?

I am choosing one M4/3 for my girlfriend and have narrowed down to these 2. I like the whole look and design (eg the build-in flash) of the GX-1. But I felt that the image is bit too soft in GX-1.

Would you be able to tell me the image quality between these 2. Many thanks :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 am 
In my previous post, I said it was unfortunate that they didn't offer the camera with a pancake lens (meaning, as a kit). Of course, I can always buy the body and lens separately.

Gordon, do you think the camera would render details better with a good prime lens on it? The GF1 was offered as a kit with a pancake-style prime lens. I assume I can get that lens separately.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:25 am 
Hi Gordon, in the review of this camera you said: "depending on the shooting mode, you may not see a live image between continuous frames. Instead the image you see between frames may simply be the last shot you took." Does this issue affect all M4/3 Live-view type cameras? I am interested in getting an ILC type camera, but from time to time I do motorsport photography (strictly amateur) and do a lot of panning - I am wondering whether an ILC is such a good idea, or whether the issue just affects this model.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 am 
Here my friend Trey Ratcliff share me a video where surprisingly apperas Gordon !!!

Enjoy it

http://youtu.be/LcMtDfa-NtM

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Caleb, I'm finding the better prime lenses are delivering superior quality, but I hope to publish some formal comparisons soon.

Hi weta, the ILCs are getting better, but are still frustrating for panning action. Most will offer a true live image between frames, but only if you really slow the shooting rate. But then the ones which shoot really fast, such as the 10fps Sonys, actually become reasonably usable as even viewing replayed images at this rate gives you a good idea of the subject's position. It's only really problematic at the 5 or 6fps speed...

crazyjazz ha ha, yes, I'm always popping up on Trey's videos, frequently chatting about mirrorless ILCs / CSCs!