Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread for the Canon PowerShot S100, the latest version of the company's pocket-sized compact for enthusiasts.

See my Canon S100 review!

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:43 am 

An interesting start to your review Gordon. I'm looking at these two and the Olympus xz1 as possibilities for a walkabout camera, so this is very relevant for me right now. Thanks. Looking forward to the full test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 pm 

There's something odd going on with the left edge of the vase in the ISO 1600 shot out of the S100 (it looks worse than in the ISO 3200 shot). Is that just "one of those things" or perhaps an issue with reproduction on the page?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've just finished my review!

Canon S100 review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:30 pm 

Really good, useful review, as always Gordon. You are right - size matters and that's what brought me here in the first place. On the other hand, I can now buy the XZ-1 for £290. That's a good £100 less than the S100.

Decisions, decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:08 am 

excellent review Gordon, part of me wished I had one, especially for the extra wide angle. The better high iso and longer zoom would be handy and the adjustable focus area does sound very interesting.
The improvements in video and GPs don`t worry me too much.
But realistically the S95 does a great job and for us its not worth upgrading.
Its been a little gem, its small size means we always have it with us.

How they can fit all this in such a small package is pretty amazing, I expect they will sell a truck load.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks everyone. Makes me wonder what they can do for the next version without making it any bigger...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:50 am 

Hi Gordon. Couple of questions about the S100:

1. Does "forced off" mean that the flash can be disabled? I always try not to use flash - just my preference.

2. Don't know if you can answer this because you probably have perfect vision but the one thing that makes me hesitate about this and similar cameras is the lack of an adjustable optical viewfinder. My eyesight is no longer what it was. I need specs for reading - and for looking at the screens on the backs of these cameras, but not for anything else. How do people with similar eyesight get on with just working with the screen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 pm 
I have had a s100 since Christmas. The flash can be turned off. I have similar eyesight to you, warth man. I have only used point and shoot cameras and can cope well. The screen is bright enough to use without glasses. What happens is that you use your "glasses-less" vision to look at the subject and holding the camera at arms length or less depending on your vision you can work the controls and see the information on screen. It works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:50 pm 

Thanks for that Alkoz. That's good to know. I'm just keeping my powder dry at present because of the rash of announcements about new gear.

Post subject: Switching Teams
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:05 pm 
I might have to switch from Lumix for my point and shoot camera! Im liking the specs on this camera, most of them.

Is this the first camera to include "focus bracketing"?? Anyone have good results with it??

AEB +/-2 pretty decent for HDR work..

Built in ND filters!!

RAW!!

F2.0

480p 120fps - great slo mo

Only downer for me is
- 24fps video (looking for 1280x720 60fps)
- battery life.. (external battery possible for time lapse?)

Any input would be appreciated...

jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi jon, some previous Canon compacts had focus bracketing, including the S95.

The ND filter was also in the G-series, albeit not in the S95!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:44 pm 

Hi Gordon.

As usual you've produced a detailed and informative review, nice one. Do you have any plans on making a video review of this camera? I'd like to see how it looks in the hand and how easy the small function buttons are to use with big paws (like me). I really fancy this camera and think it could well be the compact I've been waiting for.

Keep up the great work mate as this is still truly the best site for photographers.

zorro

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Thanks zorro, and great to see you back around here...

Nope, no plans to do a video review. It's too late for that review, but besides they hardly generate any revenue, so I can only afford to do a couple a year nowadays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 am 

No problem Gordon, I understand your feelings. Besides, there's some on Youtube I discovered after my post (although they're nowhere near as in-depth as your own ones). I think I'll probably take the plunge as soon as I can free up some funds. There's time's when I just can't be bothered lugging the SLR around, lol.

zorro

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head