Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New to Adobe Lightroom 3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:14 am 

I have just installed the trial version and had a play. I'm not sure whether I am fond or familiar with the layout yet though. I found myself scrolling down in the right pane 'develop' (edit) tab to locate all of the controls. You have for instance 3 sliders to adjust the contrast, then you have to scroll down for more, then more, and so on.

I would like to be able to select and cut images out, for instance taking part of an image to apply to a transparent background and create a PNG file. I would like to edit the contrasts and colours, and a paintbrush would also be nice. I'm not sure what Lightroom's full capabilities consist of though.

Would anyone like to offer a hand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:53 am 
If you want to cut a section out of an image, Lightroom doesn't do that. Photoshop does and also the GIMP if you want a free alternative. Pixelmator (OSX) is a nice cheap alternative that does 95% of what I would have used Photoshop for.

Lightroom does allow you to use a paintbrush to paint on colours as well as enable localised editing with any of the main adjustment parameters.

From what I've heard Lightroom 4 (beta) expands on the paintbrush support but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:38 pm 

I have heard two people say that Lightroom is better than Photoshop. I was most surprised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:27 am 

Well Lightroom has re archived all of my picture files stored to the laptop. I am most annoyed.

Is there a way to undo it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:57 am 

Be more specific.
When you import pictures into Lightroom you have many options.
I think that the default one is to live the pictures where they are and only insert them into the catalogue complete with the folder. If you choose to move them, Lightroom will create folders according to your specifications, the default being by date, this creates many folders that group pictures by date.
In Lightroom the folders you see in the library pane are in fact the folders where the pictures reside, in fact this pane is an exact view of your folder tree on the computer and ant change, moving, creating new ones or renaming folders, is as if you have done it in Explorer. So if you by mistake MOVED your pictures by importing them in Lightroom then there isn't an undo option as there issn't one in Explorer. If you copyed them during import then the original folders and pictures remained where they were and Lightroom created new ones that you can delete.
so depending on what you have done you may or you may not undo it.
I strongly suggest that you watch the many tutorials in the Internet which are wery good in using Lightroom , when you ger the hang of it, and it's not hard, you'll find that this is an extremely powerful program and pretty easy to use
Hope that helps

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:55 pm 

I have had a go at GIMP, cutting an image out and applying it to a transparent background, but the edges were white and showing, I'd imagen that requires more editing though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:31 am 
No LR is not better than Photoshop. They are different but they complement each other. LR is designed to catalog your photo collection and offers simple (but increasingly advanced) editing features. For most people, LR would be a one stop solution. I don't need anything more than LR's editing features for 99% of the photos I take.

PS is a full blown image editor, it has no facilities for managing your photos but it is the most advanced editor on the market. LR's editing features cover the basic adjustments that any photographer would need. Image manipulation, even the simple kind that you are after, is out of its scope. PS does pretty much everything that can currently be done in any image editor.

When you say there are white edges showing, I assume you mean bits of the original image? That will need to be removed manually, there is some skill involved even though the program's tools can be more proactive in helping you discard what you don't need. Play around with it a bit more and you'll get the hang on it. Try messing around with brush sizes and hardness, it should be of help with this kind of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:00 pm 

I am not really looking for an archiver, I am looking for an editing program, so I guess LR is not really my thing, and quite dangerous if used incorrectly, as I found all my files were re archived.

Last edited by Canon 500D on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:00 pm 
LR is fantastic for cataloguing and tagging photos with metadata, and maybe a little correction work. Think of it more like Bridge ++. It is far better at organizing than Bridge IMHO, but PS is the best for editing and outputing images for print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:40 pm 

Windows Explorer is there for moving files around. I like to conduct the odd edit (at the moment) when required, and with my laptop being a single core, the fans kick in when I use the Canon software to edit a RAW file.