Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:55 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread for the Sony Alpha NEX-5N.

See our Sony NEX-5N review for full details!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:14 am 
I see a lot of halos in the sample images from the 5N, and I'm wondering if those are from the default camera settings or if they came from post-processing. If you look at the signs on the Sustainable-Furniture building, you can see halos around all the letters on the signs. I've learned that by using unsharp mask and carefully controlling the parameters, I can sharpen pictures nicely while avoiding halos.

I don't see a comparison between in-camera JPG's and files fixed up from RAW. Did you include that? If so, I can't find it.

In the comparison of the three cameras, the GX1 images were disturbingly soft. I read your comments about it, and was sad to read that the softness is in the RAW images also. I'm wondering what the result would be if you used the pancake lens that was sold with the GF1 -- that lens was sharp, if I remember what the reviews said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:17 pm 

Though sharpening is always to each person's taste, I find personally that many people seem to prefer 'oversharp' photos, with halos visible to me in many. To my eye, it looks like Sony's default JPG settings in some of their NEX cameras was tuned to deliver this type of sharpness, which on some subjects can tend to oversharpen a bit.

On my NEX3, after testing around with the JPGs on standard and vivid picture settings, I ended up turning the sharpening down to -1 in camera for the JPGs, which gives me to my eye perfect results. They are suitably sharp out of the camera, but also with some room for some light USM in post if desired. With sharpening at 0, my NEX3 tended to oversharpen and I'd see halos in some high contrast areas such as the sign you mention. Possibly, this is also the case with the NEX-5N.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:45 am 
Site Admin

Hi Caleb, I have done a RAW comparison but not posted it yet - this is a frantic time of year! I'll add that comparison soon.

As for the GX1, yes, the default output does look soft, but it responds quite well to a boost in contrast and sharpening as you'll see on my RAW comparisons on that upcoming review! In that respect it's no different from the G3.

I also did lots of tests with all the different kit lenses so we'll be able to see just how good (or not) the 14-42mm PZ really is. But once again i can only do one thing at a time and there's also the small matter of Christmas coming up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:04 am 
Hi,

I'm just a beginner here. I would like to ask is this camera able to do something like blur action shots for speed? It is like blur background while shooting a fast race car like dSLR? As this camera is using contrast AF which is slower compare to phase AF in dSLR, but we will only use MF in this case, right?

Please advise.

Sorry for the noob question :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:09 am 
Site Admin

Hi anson_ljh, yes you can achieve that effect. The NEX cameras have PASM modes just like a DSLR, so you'd use SHutter Priority the same way. As for focus, I always manually focus for this kind of shot regardless of camera. Just prefocus on the spot where the car will be when you plan to take the shot. My tutorial is at:

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_t ... hoto.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:10 am 
Thanks Gordon.

I'm upgrading as a compact camera user to ILC. NEX-5N is my choice. Getting excited as i will own this camera soon and start to learn and develop photographic skill :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:19 pm 

I have just bought a Sony NEX5N 8)

When i went to the setup, under heading :version: it said V1

Which version should i have for the NEX5N :?:

In the menu it says -- BODY NEX-5 Ver 1.00 Lens/Mount Adapter Ver.01

On my NEX 3 it says Body Ver 04 :? :shock: :shock: :Lens Ver 01

For my super Nex 3 which when i read the report on this site i bought the same day,i found a link somewhere for the firm ware update perhaps DP review :?: :?: :roll:

Now i find the firmware link on the sony page but the link only takes me to the page to choose my language :( which in turn takes me to products with no link to firm ware :(

As this link is sticky perhaps some one could add a link to find the firmware download please :? :? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:46 am 
I picked up a NEX-5N a couple of weeks ago after wanting to get rid of my A200.

Was flitting between the 5N, J1 and GF3 but ended up on the 5N as the wife and I both liked it, the wife hated the J1 handling and I didn't like the GF3. Scientific that aye :)

Anyway, picture quality is great, low light is flipping amazing!! Menu is a bit confusing a first but getting the hang of it.

My problem though is that dam click/rattle it suffers. If you happen to tilt the camera even slightly when videoing you get a click which is totally audible on video. I heard about it on 1 forum before buying but didn't seem that widespread but have since found out its a common fault. Was going to return the camera but nowhere in Auckland has stock for a few months now, and Sony are giving me the runaround on warranty. They tell me to take it back to the store who will post to Palmerston North, which is 3-5 day turnaround, but the store wont send it there and instead want to send it somewhere else on a 3-4 week turnaround!! GRRR! Not happy as I have a baby due it 5 weeks which I wanted the camera for. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:21 am 
I have already asked about compact concert cameras on another thread and have leaned towards the Nex 5n.

I have seen great samples of low light performance with B/W concert photos at up to 6400 ISO but I read that the colour quality is poor with high ISO settings.

I am also in need of thoughts about the digital zoom quality. Being a concert camera for the main purpose I need it too be compact, which it is, but I will need a bit of zoom in case I find myself a fair way back from the stage. I am concerned about the loss of quality when using the 10x digital zoom which is available with any lens or whether there is a small enough lens that could fit in a jacket or pants pocket and give a decent zoom.

I am curious to hear about other peoples experiences with the NEX 5n under low-light/concert like conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:21 am 
Got my NEX-5N back from warranty repair yesterday, away for only 3 days and the click problem has totally gone now! YEY!

For us, low light is flipping amazing with this. Before where out compacts needed the flash else you could forget taking a photo, the NEX-5N comes out with better photos, color and sharpness without the flash, even up to ISO3200. Totally loving it so far as enables us to shoot indoors where we never could. Color looks fine to me too.

Outdoors though in good light its amazing! Am getting shot of my DSLR now, no point for me having that anymore as this little beauty is way above it. Movie mode, now the click is gone is great too.

Haven't tried the digital zoom yet. Have been spending all our time with the 16mm pancake lens as its so small and easy to get around with, great fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:37 am 
Tanks for your advice and opinion AndyR.

I believe the NEX 5n is the way to go. It seems as though it is the best value and quality for money and the size of it should be perfect for taking to concerts.

Lastly I am wondering whether it is a good idea to get it with the 18-55 OSS + 16mm/2.6 lens kit or save myself NZ$200 and opt only for the 18-55 OSS lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:09 pm 

I'd recommend the 18-55 OSS...Sony might release a couple of pancakes in the (near ?) future, so for the time being I'd wait and see.

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:12 pm 
Yeah we originally were going to only get the 18-55, but then I read th Steve Huff review where he used the 16 a lot and liked the idea. When in store the 16mm on its own was selling for $700 but the kit with both lenses was only $200 more than with just the 18-55 so thought for the $500 difference we'd get the dual kit

So glad we did as we've only used the 16 so far as it makes the camera much smaller so we have taken I out more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:15 pm 
Yeah I think going for the double lens kit is worth it.
However, is the 18-55 lens compact enough to take to concerts? Or would the 16/2.6 get decent results at concerts? Keeping in mind I will more than likely need some zoom.

And if anyone has any opinions about the quality of the digital zoom on the NEX 5n they will be much appreciated.