Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vote for your favourite entry!
Poll ended at Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:18 am
Rich 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Bob Andersson 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
HS 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
SCREAMnSHOUT 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Photoj 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
Dr.Mcq 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
zrmi 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
seattlesteve 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Jazz 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
joebaynham 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Drazen Gal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
zorro 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Defiance 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Nick12984 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Suffy 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Q u e n t i n 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
LahLahSr 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
alex168 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Khol 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
roland 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
dangard 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
dryan2 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Bjorn van Sinttruije 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Fairground 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
patti 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
eL 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
eddcunningham 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hailstorm 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ferrari_fx 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Guillaume 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
TheHawk1973 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Paukl 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
ormina 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
luis 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Andy 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
JakeOConnell 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 86
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:20 am 
Site Admin

UPDATED: 1ST MARCH 00:00 GMT! THE SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!

Thanks to everyone who entered February's Assignment - 36 in all, not counting myself - so now it's time to vote for your favourite! (as before I'm disqualified as the Editor!).

Polls close at midnight on 21st March 2008, and the winner will choose the theme for April's Assignment. So good luck and get voting!

Gordon

Hello everyone, welcome to February's Assignment!

The theme for this month is suggested by Drazen Gal, who won the December competition. In his own words:

"My idea for February is that U take picture of your living place. Try with just one photograph describe your town in a best way U can."

A new guideline from now on is that the photo you submit should be taken during the month of the actual assignment - ie during February 2008. You're also only allowed to submit one image, and you can't change you mind once it's posted!

As always, please exercise good judgement on what is suitable for the forum.

Please include a sentence or two with your photo describing what you were trying to achieve and if there were any particular challenges in doing so.

We're all enthusiasts here, so it's also great to see what equipment you used and the settings too. So please also include the following:

Camera Model:
Lens and focal length:
Aperture:
Shutter Speed:
Sensitivity:
Post processing:

Submissions will close at midnight GMT on 29 February 2008. The final poll will follow.

Please remember this thread is for submissions only and that posted images should be around 500 pixels on their longest dimension. If you'd like to comment on any of the submissions or ask any questions, please do so in the February 2008 comments thread!

Thanks and good luck!

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:16 pm 
Hi all.
I've been visiting this website from time to time but only registered recently. Thought I would give this month's 'On Assignment' a go.

This is the best view that I know of the village where I live in Northern Ireland. I decided to take a photo from here because a village is a relatively small community and I wanted that to be apparent from the picture. And what I have got here is a small built up area in the middle of a lot of countryside.

Camera: Pentax K10D
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/750 sec
ISO: 100
Processing: Tweaked the white balance
Darkened the sky some
Increased contrast and saturation
Warm filter effect applied
Sharpened

Post subject: Remembrance
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 pm 

Hi folks,

Scenery, beautiful architecture, shops, entertainment and an honourable history. Bit of a tall order for one photograph but here's my entry, taken today about five minutes walk from home. The biggest challenge is trying to produce a thumbnail with any punch at all, as so much of the detail in the shot is lost during downsizing. The other significant difficulty was trying to avoid too much orange protective netting in the shot, as the village green undergoes extensive repairs at this time of year in preparation for the tourist season.

Remembrance
    Clickable if you want to see a decently sized version (2MB)

Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
Lens and focal length: EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM at 24mm
Aperture: f/8, Aperture priority
Shutter Speed: 1/60th
Sensitivity: 100
Post processing: RAW file, Lens corrections applied in DPP, converted to DNG format and imported to Photoshop CS2 where colour temperature was increased from 5000 to 5700, Saturation +15%, Smart Sharpen +15%, Shadow/Highlight tool used to bring out a little more cloud detail. Very light cropping. Converted to 8 bit/channel and finally saved as JPEGs at the right sizes.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:43 pm 
How dutch can it be :)

dutch windmill and our own "pizza" tower. it used to stand straight 80 years ago. But when they took away the water to win land on the other side of the dijk the pressure of the water wasn't there anymore so the land slided away a little, taking the tower and everything else with it.

Camera Model: Nikon D50
Lens and focal length: tokina 28-70 2.8 at 28mm
Aperture: 2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/2000
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Post processing: little brighter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:55 am 
Hi peoplez,
im a fan of cameralabs.com; just started to use this forum.

Heres my submission(sorry i didnt upload it i dont know how to use [Img] tags!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23624298@N06/2251187695/

EDIT by Bob Andersson: Here you go:-
Taken from a flat. This is my school's renovation site. It is in the heart of the Tampines(Tahm-Pee-Nees) estate, and the town centre can be seen to the background, in the midst of the residences. (If you look closely enough you can even find students playing basketball :wink: )

Camera Model: Panasonic Lumix FX-01 digital compact
Lens: 28mm(35mm equivalent) zoom lens but zoom not used
Aperture: Automatic, not noted when picture was taken. Will try to remember next time. (I took this photo before I joined this forum)
Shutter Speed: " "
Sensitivity: " "
Post processing: Absolutely none.

Last edited by SCREAMnSHOUT on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:45 am 
Taken on the 8th of Feb:

A photo of the Great Court of the British Museum.

Before a photojournalism assignment, I had a brief visit to my photography honing ground - the British Museum. I come here very often to practice my photography, so it's almost a second home. The natural lighting was good so I couldn't resist capturing the shadows of the geometric roof across the court.

Camera Model: D200
Lens and focal length: Handheld at 10mm, Sigma 10-20 + ND4 grad
Aperture: f14
Shutter Speed: 1/20
Sensitivity: ISO200
Post processing: Played with curves, upped saturation, and used a touch of diffuse glow to soften the scene. Cloned out 2 heads that were caught on the edge of the frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:08 pm 
Hi everyone,
Here’s my post, King Fahd's Fountain, donated to the city by King Fahd bin Abdul Aziz rises some 853 feet (260 meters) from the sea off Jeddah. This jet of water is the highest of its type in the world and is an unforgettable sight, especially when illuminated at night.
I tried my best getting the best out of my (Nikon e3700) & also did some post editing (increased color temp. + some brightness adjustment)

Camera: Nikon E3700
Exposure: 4 sec
Aperture: f/5.9
Focal Length: 9.9 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:37 am 
Hi guys..

this is my post..

taken from Mt Eden, Auckland..I love the juxtaposition between the cow and the city background..those two portrays two different aspect that creates the purity of New Zealand.

Camera: Nikon D80
Exposure: 0.005s
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 100 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:53 am 

This is Seattle's Public Market, aka Pike Street Market. It's quite a tourist attraction, but at the same time brings in many locals for fresh seafood and produce. Here's an interesting little bit of info for you: if you go straight down this street and turn right, you'll find the first Starbucks too.

Camera: Canon D30 (Yes, the D30 and not the 30D. This was Canon's first consumer DSLR that came out in 2000 :))
Exposure: 1/125th
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 80mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: +/-0 EV
Post Processing: crop, levels, unsharp mask and saturation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:58 pm 
Hi everyone, New guy here! Been browsing through both Camera Labs and DSLR tips for quite a while now, thought I'd sign up and join like minded people! The video guides proved especially useful to boost the learning curve, many thanks Gordon. I got a D40 for Christmas and haven't put it down since...

This is a view from a field at the top of the village - I live in the middle of nowhere! It was a beautiful clear night so I thought I'd go for a wander and took the camera and tripod with me. looking across the field icould see the red glow and the reflections in the puddles and just thought it looked interesting. Taken about an hour ago (10pm, 12/2/08 )

Camera Model: Nikon D40
Lens and focal length: 18-135mm ED-IF DX at 18mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Shutter Speed: 30 sec
Sensitivity: ISO 400
Post processing: Straigtened image and applied slight unsharp mask in Photoshop

Post subject: Mr Big Ben
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:37 pm 
Image No editing done.
Took a trip into town today, Its like a 5 minute underground ride away so I'm hoping it counts as where I live..
Larger version..
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2019/226 ... d481_b.jpg

Last edited by joebaynham on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:09 am 
Site Admin

I live in Queenstown, New Zealand. It's the self-titled adventure capital of NZ and where Bungy jumping was invented, but it's also simply a beautiful place. The surrounding scenery has made it into several movies, most notably Lord of the Rings, and X-Men fans will be interested to hear they're currently filming Wolverine, with Hugh Jackman spotted around town!

Queenstown's most famous view is from the Skyline Gondola halfway up Bob's Peak, but as we use that as the main image in our results pages, I didn't want to show you it again here! So I've gone higher and climbed Ben Lomond, at an elevation of 1750m and pointed a camera in roughly the same direction.

So if you follow the lower ridge down to the treeline, you'll reach the top of the Skyline Gondola, and just above and to the left of that the conurbation you see is Queenstown. The peninsula is the golf course and the buildings to its left is the suburb Kelvyn Heights. The flat land to the left side of the lake is the airport.

I chose this photo becuase it still has the iconic Remarkables Mountain Range in the background, but shows the surroundings of Queenstown as a place for outdoor activities!

Above: Canon EOS 400D / Xti with EF-S 18-55mm at 22mm. Program, f11, 1/200, 100 ISO, -0.3 EV.

No post processing - just one third of a stop exposure compensation.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:13 pm 

Canon EOS 400D + 18-55mm @ 55mm
f8
ISO 100
1/160

Post processing: Some minor adjustments in Capture One 4.01
Cheers!

Post subject: My Better Three-quarters
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:21 pm 

Hi folks. I was determined to take part in my first comp this month but when I saw the topic I was up against it. I don't live in a town (this has always been a bonus previously). Since I can't really show you my town then the next best thing would be my companions in life. Not keen on showing faces on the internet - and people pictures aren't my thing anyway - and so this shot leapt out. This is my wife and kids at the beach yesterday. We do beaches good here.

I know it doesn't precisely fit the brief but Gordon's already stretched the "Hometown" concept and this is nothing if not a democracy.

Body : Nikon D80
Lens : Sigma 10-20mm
Shutter speed : 1/400sec
Aperture : f10
Exposure Compensation : -0.67eV
Focal Length : 10mm

Processed in Nikon Capture NX & Adobe Photoshop CS3

Enjoy.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:30 pm 
Well here goes.... be gentle with me as this is my first entry in "On Assignment".... it is an HDR image of a very prominent feature in the place where I live, It is the new Grandstand at Ascot racecourse and was shot today with the sun setting behind the building.

The settings for this are as follows
Canon EOS 40D
Lens EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM @106mm
AV @f/4
ISO 400
Auto Bracketing -2,0,+2

Larger image on flickr

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next