Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:14 pm 

Hello folks, my camera keeps going in and out of focus but never focuses, when viewing through the viewfinder.

It focuses with no problems when in live view.

I have experienced this in auto and program modes. I am using the Zuiko 14 - 42mm kit lens and have tried a variety of situations and lighting conditions. Can anybody help please? Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Does it have problems under all conditions and subjects, or only specific ones?

Maybe the AF point has been nudged to the side by mistake and isn't finding anything there to focus on... or maybe it's set to continuous AF and is struggling to lock on. Have a look in the manual and make sure the AF area / point is either set to centre or auto, and the AF mode to single, then see if it makes any difference...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:29 pm 

Thanks Gordon, I have tried inside and out (granted Scotland in January isn't the brightest weather) using a variety of subjects but to no avail.

I have tried selecting the centre AF point (of three) and also auto and have used both S-AF and C-AF. It does seem to struggle more on single. I am wondering if it's just me!

Edit: This may sound odd, but is it possible for an AF point to not work? I have tried specifying the left and right AF points individually and they actually focus well, as before; but choosing the centre point or auto,defrffffffffc it is struggling or unable to focus at all.

I have cleaned the lens, but I am quite new to photography, could it be a dirty sensor - would that make sense?

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:40 am 
Site Admin

It woudn't be the lens or the sensor at fault, so don't worry about cleaning them...!

I wonder, can you find anyone else with an Olympus body or lens for you to try swapping them to see if one is at fault?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:41 am 

Thanks Gordon, I seemed to have sorted it by a process of elimination. As the problem seemed to be exclusive when selecting the centre AF point and in turn the auto setting, I tried the left and right points with no problems.

I cleaned the filter and lens (again) and removed the lens to give inside a wee clean, which seems to have fixed the problem. I don't really know how, but it's worked.

Thanks again!

I'd also like to say a quick thanks for your excellent overviews on Youtube, really helped when I was trying to decide between the 1000D, D3000 and the E520.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:48 am 
Site Admin

I'm surprised that worked, but ultimately happy it did! Glad it's all go for you now!