Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which one?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:42 am 
I've been reading all the reviews on this site, but I still can't find which camera is best for me.

I'm debating between a point and shoot or the superzoom. Most concerts that I attend won't allow people to bring in a DSLR\ Professional \ Interchangeable cameras.

So I'm trying to figure out which camera is best for me. I was looking over the Nikon Coolpix P500, Sony HX9V, Sony HX5. I'm looking for that Bang for the Buck type of camera.

I mean the thing I'm really most concern ( In order)
1. Image Quality
2. Fast shooting \ speed\ fps
3. HD Video
4. Manuel settings so I can mess around when taking pictures.

Any input would help, and even other suggestion would be nice also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:05 pm 

I don't know of any superzooms that do well in low light (concert) situations.

Personally, the only fixed lens camera I would recommend for concert photography is the Canon G1X because of its larger sensor/good high ISO performance and vari-angle LCD (which is very helpful when shooting over the heads/arms/hands of a cheering crowd). The main drawbacks are that it's relatively large (read: security may give you a hard time about it), and it has a slow burst rate.

So, if you're willing to sacrifice the vari-angle LCD and some--maybe 2-3 stops?--low light performance for a smaller package (which should get through security) and faster burst rate, then there's Canon's S100.

Or, you may want to wait a few months to see what Samsung releases to replace the TL500/EX1.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:35 pm 

Id also say the new GX1 from Canon - dont forget that its a f2.8 at its widest it has a sensor the same size as a dslr and all manual if you want it to.

Leo

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:51 pm 

Indeed the G1X will be released soon and it's almost like a DSLR without interchangable lenses.

1) The image quality seems to be superb. Less noise than the much more expensive Canon EOS 7D, so you can use higher ISOs without sacrificing too much quality.
2) Fast shooting... yeah... 4.5fps are OK in my opinion. ;)
3) Yes, HD video (1080p @ 24fps), stereo sound, zoom while filming, ND filter for "softer moved" in the daylight.
4) More possibilities of using manual settings than on any other compact camera. You can actually see the difference if you change the aperture :D And you can use F16 while most compacts only have F8.

It even has a metal body and an optical viewfinder - and probably the best screen you can find on any compact camera.

Disadvantages: price, only 4x zoom

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:19 am 

Quote:
2) Fast shooting... yeah... 4.5fps are OK in my opinion.

OK? Thats bloody stunning! I paid 1.5k for my Oly E510 and had 3fps and that was considered Fast 4 years ago with the 50D at 6fps.

4.5 on a compact body with a APS-C sensor.... ZOMG!

The only hurdles you might have is, yes, the price because its not out yet so there will be a "new" premium and its good.

But Id never get a G12 anymore - Imagine having a G12 but the Sensor is NOW SIX TIMES BIGGER!!!!! That to me = WORTH THE PRICE.

But enough fo my fanboyism - I think Canon is missing a step here not chasing the mirrorless system

Canon was the biggest critics of the 4/3 system, and sure, it wasnt the best sensor in a DSLR but seriously we were using 4megapixels to make billboards at one point, 4/3 made DSLR's really small, and not Oly is making a killing and LEADING the industry by going even smaller. I think Canon has pie on its face and doesnt want to admit it hence its late late late entry into the arena with the awkward GX1.

Sooooo if a Interchangeable system is NOT what you want, the GX1 is the right tool.

But it would be nice to one day have a compact and then MAYBE... just maybe attach some canon lenses to them.

Just like Oly and Panasonic, we might end up with a Canikon compact mirrorless camera?

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net