Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:16 pm 

Approaching 70 years of age and spending more time away with my wife in our motorhome leaves me in a position to enjoy and practice my lifelong interest in photography.

I'm not a serious photographer but rather than just recording events and holidays I do like to make the very best of the opportunities presented. This is done with a reasonably good understanding of the technicalities involved having worked in the industry for the first ten years of my working life.

I have had a couple of Fujifilm Bridge Cameras; the latest being an HS10 and while I would like to go straight up to a full frame DSLR with a small selection of lenses including a good zoom sadly this will not be possible. I have short listed some of the options that I felt ticked most my requirement boxes of which my preferred option is the Sony A65 with the Pentax K-r and the Nikon D7000 running behind.

What I would like to ask the members about is the choice of lenses, not that the choice of body is not important but I feel a significant portion of that decision will be feature based. When I look at my screensaver photos I can see a large number of holiday photos of scenery, cathedrals and general items of holiday interest. Then there are family events; indoor and outdoor and other photos that I especially went out to take. These can be close-up nature or other special interest type of photograph. I have also tended to use available light in poorly lit situations choosing to use flash only when desirable.

I know that I will not have the extreme zoom range that is available on the HS 10 and while a wide angle lens will be essential it would be nice to have at least 200mm telephoto available. I also know it’s not reasonable to expect top quality in the aftermarket range of value zoom lenses but my thoughts are that the supplied kit lenses are frequently not of the highest grade either. I wonder if at similar focal lengths there may not be that much difference between the a Sigma/Tamron 18/200 lenses and the typical kit lenses. Sadly; initially at least I will not be able to consider body c/w kit lenses and then buy a zoom or alternative lens.

In a nutshell therefor I would really appreciate any suggestion on the body and the lens combinations. It’s as simple as that !!!!!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:59 pm 

Hi & welcome.
I suppose budget has to be taken into consideration?

The D7000 can now be bought for around £8oo+ (body only) & handles low light/noise very well. I can recommend the 16-85mm as a very good general purpose, walk around lens.

If you need a wider lens, the Tokina 11-16mm is great value.

You could also consider the 28-300mm if you wanted the extra reach (+ a wider angle lens too?) Although it might be a tad heavy to carry all the time. The 70-300mm is also a good choice.

Hopefully you'll get some help from the guys on here with knowledge of the other systems.

Good luck with your choice & post a few pics of your travels. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:52 pm 

oldCarlos wrote:
You could also consider the 28-300mm if you wanted the extra reach

My brother is using a Tamron 18-270mm, which is a pretty nice lens. He gets quite some nice pictures out of it and it's a nice, compact allround lens.
I'd just add a 50mm 1.8 or something like that for portraits.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:16 am 

Thanks for both replies, something to be checking out in both of those suggestions.