Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:34 pm 

I am standing with an 11 kg heavy backpack, looking at the lush green grass of the Fuji meadow. With the announcement of the X-Pro 1 there is finally an "affordable" contender to Leica looks, IQ (remains to be seen but I have high hopes based on the X100) and size that I would throw my money at.

I have been photographing a lot less in 2011 than my previous 4 years in photography because of the heft of my equipment (the before mentioned 11 kg backpack) and my change in photographic preference. When I have been shooting it has been with primes and I usually leave most of my equipment at home and only bring one or two lenses. Even so, it is not at all a pocketable solution, which I am dreaming of.

The whole last year I have been wishing for something compact like the X100 but with the ability to change lenses. I had hoped that the Canon G1 X would fit that bill but it was a disappointment for me with it's not-so-wide, fixed zoom lens and poor view finder. The X-Pro 1 fits exactly my wishes. I was actually about to jump the gun on a used X100 when I saw the announcement from Fuji. It would be cool if it had been full frame to get the full benefit of wide angle lenses but that is not too big of an issue for me.

The only thing keeping me back is the (in my head) imminent release of the 5D Mk III which I have been waiting for for a year and a half or so. But now that I find myself bored with the weight of my equipment I am dreaming of the Fuji instead. I would like to have the 5D3 with all my nice lenses and then the Fuji for a compact walk-around but I am not so rich as to afford that. It will more likely be the X100 and the 5D3 for me and then switching the X100 for the X-Pro 1 (or successor) when I am done studying and get a proper job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:05 pm 

But with the Fuji X-Pro 1 you don't really get wider than with the Canon G1X. The widest Fuji lens offers an equivalent focal length of 27mm - the Canon 28mm.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:39 pm 

@Jiko:
At the moment that is quite true but they have an ultra wide angle in the making for 2012 and with the M-mount lens adapter I can get the Voigtländer 12mm which is quite neat in my eyes.

The 18mm that Fuji has out now is also f/2.0 which is a whole stop faster than the Canon. I also expect that lens to outperform the Canon's at the wide end fully open but that I will have to wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:48 am 

Possible. Or even very likely.

But the Canon costs much less and it's smaller. :lol:

OK, they are quite different cameras - for the flexibility I have my DSRL - now the G1X could just be a nice more portable addition - especially as it takes the flash guns I own. My problem is less the wide angle thn the short tele. At the moment my portable camera is the Powershot SX 10 IS - the zoom rane is great but the sensor isn't. It's OK using low ISO levels but the G1X should offer a much better quality - and RAW. I just fear I could miss some shots as I'm really used to use longer focal lengths. There are days I'm only using my EF 100mm - 160mm equivalent on a crop frame camera. The G1X doesn't even reach that focal length...
(My small "kit" when I don't carry around all of my stiff is the 500D + grip + 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM (portrait, macro, short tele) attached and the 12-24mm (rooms, buildings...) in the bag. Sometimes with one of my flash guns, sometimes I squeeze my 50mm 1.8 somewhere inbetween as the gap between 24 and 100mm is... "not so small".

Maybe I don't need the G1X but just the 24-105mm lens :D The focal length would fit me better... but still the size... :oops:

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:19 am 

I don't mind paying the price of the Fuji, as long as the IQ is superb.

I actually sold my trusted old 1D Mk II yesterday and so I took the first step towards the Fuji meadow. I think I will keep back from going all out on the X-Pro 1, as I can get a decent deal on a used X100 with extra batteries and chargers, two 16GB 45 MB/s SanDisk SD as well as the reversed filter solution used by Zack Arias and Ken Rockwell on their X100s and a Black Rapid Snapr strap for a tad more than I sold my 1D for.

Not too bad and if the grass actually is greener, I might take the full leap onto the meadow and get the X-Pro 1 as well as selling off some of my Canon glass. Maybe not, though.