Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help/advice please.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:35 pm 

Not had much time to get out with the camera recently, so to keep me motivated & the boredom at bay on days I can't get out (too many of em tbh! :( ) i'm thinking about getting a little light-tent to use in the house. Maybe 24" - 30" sq so I can put it on the kitchen table.

It will need to be something fairly quick & easy to set up & take down, also compact when not in use, so as to take up as little space as poss.

Have you any suggestions as to different makes of these? ..... Or any to avoid.

I did a quick search on them, but soon became baffled :? Some are flexible pop-ups with different openings (slits, zippers, & differing angles of pre-formed `holes` to shoot into........) others are more like open boxes, that presumably just fold away?

Then there is the lighting to consider. How bright should they be? What kelvin rating? (some say daylight `balanced` but don't give details) Am I right in thinking 5000-5500k is about right for natural daylight?

Obviously you usually get what ya pay for with equipment, but I don't really want to spend a lot on the set up & don't need `pro` gear.

Any tips & ideas would be most helpful & gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:17 pm 

Any opinions on this i've just found? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... 0870246363

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:54 pm 

Can someone tell me if the above is actually a good option..??

@oldCarlos did you buy one of these or something similar?

Looking at it it really looks like a cheap option...is it too good to be true? As a general rule I often air on the side of caution...if it is too good to be true it generally is not true. What do others think about this item?

SUNR15E

EDIT : While you kind people are helping with this issue...could someone cast their eyes over this set please...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280741884749

And let me know if it is worth buying as a set.

Or if it is not worth buying what in the set lets it down as a hobbyist set?

Thanks.

(still) SUNR15E

Find me SUNR15E, on Flickr.

Or find me on facebook SUNR15E PHOTOGRAPHIC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:23 pm 

Hi SUNRI5E.
Yeah I did get the tent & lights in that link & for £80 delivered I think they're pretty good value tbh. (They probably wouldn't be professional enough for serious product shooters, but more than ample for my needs)

The tent is slightly bigger than I visualised & the lights extend to around 2 metres high, so no probs using it on the dining table.

I haven't had much chance to use it yet, but now the kids are back at school I can start to have a play when the weather aint too good.

quick pic to give you an idea of size.

. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:29 pm 

Cool I would love to see some shots with this kit used. And yes it does seem a lot larger than I was expecting it to be as well...Bonus I think... ??

Did you have a look at the Link I put up for the Lighting kit I was looking at on Ebay...Again it looks like it may be a good hobby kit...and may be a good tool to start learning with. :) But I was hoping some of those who use this type of setup may comment and point out some short falls in this kit.

SUNR15E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:48 pm 

Just a couple of quick sooc shots I took when I got it to try it out.

My (dirty) watch :lol:
. Image

Weathered poppy seed-head.
. Image

I'll need to practice with the lighting & DOF, depending on what the subject is & I think i'm gonna buy a camera flash unit too.

The link you posted seems good to me, but more than I wanted to spend just to play around with, not that I know anything much about them, hence trying to get comments on this thread. I suppose it depends how much you're gonna use them, as to the quality you need.

Let us know what you decide & how you go on. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 pm 

Well I have a mate who has some stuff he wants to sell...but he has lent it to a professional mate of his....(photographer)....until next month so I can't have a look...But he wants about £500 for it...but it is top name stuff (his words not mine).

He is planning on E-mailing me details.

I don't mind spending money on a package like that (it needs to be spent before the EX gets the divorce paperwork started... ;) But it would be nice to know what the EXPERTS think.

I am daft enough to want to produce GOOD images as a hobby. If the results are not worth showing I would be upset with myself. I don't want a career as a photographer but spending time earning a little money from my hobby would be cool.

I did the same with my motorbike....became an instructor..

Maybe I can make my hobby pay for itself. That would be cool.

SUNR15E

EDIT : PS. like the poppy head....I have seen it before while looking at your pics...Was well impressed.

SUNR15E (again)