Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 am 

Hi folks,

One major issue I had with the X100 in my brief time with it last year was, for me, an impenetrable menu system. It seems Fuji really have been listening: Fujifilm X-PRO1 walkthrough with Kayce Baker.

@capital Maybe they are leaving image stabilisation for Leica's equivalent later this year. :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:54 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've just finished my analysis on the launch!

Check out my Fujifilm X-Pro1 preview for full details!

I'd agree capital - the lack of stabilisation is annoying, and the non-centred tripod thread is bizarre for a product so carefully engineered for photography enthusiasts. That said, if you mount the optional grip, the thread is repositioned to become more central.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 am 

I could see myself buying this camera or an eventual full frame version in the future. As I have been very interested in the looks and IQ of the X100 I am very interested in this camera. Over time, I would like to get a smaller system than my current setup (Canon 1D2 and some heavy L-zooms and primes) and I have been dreaming of a digital Leica M for a while, as I see my photographic preferences lean more and more towards primes and light(er) weight. I could buy a used M8 but I wouldn't like to spend too much on "old" technology, when I could get a 5D Mk II for just a little bit more.

As I have had no alternatives other than MFT (I like the styling of the original Olympus Pen but not the ISO-performance of the MFT sensor), the NEX (that styling is not for me), and Nikon 1-series (styling and sensor size is not for me) so far I have held back from buying into an ILC system. I have instead been saving up for the eventual dawn of the Canon 5D Mk III. It will hopefully be smaller and lighter than my 1D and thus be more portable for me plus (again hopefully) have a load of new features as well as great IQ.

Now that the X-Pro has been announced, I can see myself selling off all my Canon equipment right away and throw myself directly into this new system - especially with the announcement of an M-mount adapter to get M-mount lenses for bridging myself towards a digital Leica M in the future - but then I imagine that my Canon lenses and a 5D3 will be more versatile for travelling.

Ideally I would have enough money for both the 5D3 and the X-Pro 1 and then slowly build a collection of M-mount lenses for a future upgrade to Leica. The final price of the X-Pro 1 will be the decisive factor, I guess.

I actually started this post as I stumbled upon this. It's a link to 43rumors.com where a pre-order price from Expansys has been spotted. $1385 for X-Pro 1 including the 35mm f/1.4. There seems to be some confusion about the price of the X-Pro 1 and that it will be cheaper than first anticipated. The $1700 for the house was apparently a marketing stunt to make the actual price seem a lot more appealing.

If the price will indeed be $1700 for the house alone, I guess the most sensible choice for me will be to get a used copy of the slightly menu-wise retarded (meant in the word's original sense) X100 plus accessories for the money I can get from my 1D2 by selling it and then use that as a complimentary camera for a 5D3 when it eventually decides to reveal itself.

EDIT:
Nice preview, Gordon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:00 pm 

Hi folks,

PopPhoto have another interview with Kayce Baker where she answers a few questions. Significantly in light of some concerns about AF performance she definitely bigs up the X-Pro1 in comparison to the X100.

You can see the interview here.

Isn't it refreshing to hear from a company rep who actually appears to be a photographer first and a marketer second. Although I certainly wouldn't underestimate her marketing skills either... :wink:

Bob.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 pm 

Very nice info on the auto focus speed. This makes me want the Fuji even more now. I just hope pricing won't be too high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:05 pm 

Hmm, this is ridiculous: larger than the Leica M9 body but with a sensor only half the size! And the prize is ridiculously high too!
With regard to "missing" stabilization: Same as with Nikon and Canon: With large aperture primes you have NO stabilization from both vendors either :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:16 pm 

I don't mind the sensor size or the price tag too much if it turns out to have as good IQ as they say.

The lack of IS doesn't bother me too much either, as I have gotten used to shooting lenses without IS on my Canon setup. The lenses I use are all fast enough to do so and if need be I just keep very still or find a spot to rest the camera on. Admittedly there could come situations where it is handy but luckily I haven't stumbled upon those until now. I get pleasantly surprised when I use my 70-200 f/4 with IS from time to time but I don't miss it when I go back to my other lenses. I guess it is mainly because they are quite a bit wider and therefore can be handled at lower shutter speeds.

I see myself shooting mainly normal to wide focal lengths on the Fuji. That would be the 35mm and wider.

As mentioned before I would probably get the 5D3 and a used X100 with the prospect of exchanging the X100 for the X-Pro 1 or 2 in the future, having that as a more compact alternative to the DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:22 pm 

Thomas wrote:
Same as with Nikon and Canon: With large aperture primes you have NO stabilization from both vendors either :cry:

That's what I like about Sony and Pentax: You get the stabilization with any lens as it's in the body - even works with the large aperture primes and old lenses.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:45 pm 

The other remark that comes to my mind: I think moire is something that occurs when a pattern approaches max resolution and is independent from Bayer- or non-Bayer pattering. That pattern should only influence whether the moire is colored or more b&w.

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:13 pm 

I think you are right about the moiré. I am just happy that they didn't implement the low-pass filter so you get a high detail rate. I rarely notice moiré anyway unless it's on TV, especially the news where people in suit jackets sets off a moiré fest. If I would be shooting people in suits more often, I might see moiré in my own pictures, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 pm 

Fuji states the X-Pro1 will perform as well as a full framer. I'd love to see this camera's low light performance side by side with a 5d2 and a d700. If it truly has very low to no noise at ISO 800, I may save myself a few hundred dollars by buying it over one of the full frame bodys.

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:30 pm 

In the search for news about the Fuji X-Pro 1 I found a russian review of the camera. I speak no Russian so I ran it through Google Translate and I will share that with you here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:56 am 

Hi folks,

The X-Pro 1 manual is now available here (PDF).

via Norlight Images.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:32 am 

"esbenlp
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:30 pm Post subject:
In the search for news about the Fuji X-Pro 1 I found a russian review of the camera. I speak no Russian so I ran it through Google Translate and I will share that with you here."

How cool.
Someone in the Mojave read a camera review by an enthusiast in Russia.
The Russian enthusiast's review was found by an enthusiast in Denmark.
The enthusiast in Denmark noted the finding on a forum run by an enthusiast in New Zealand.
Makes my head hurt.

The camera's performance looks good to say the least. Equal to FujiFilm's claims? We'll see. The X-Pro1 does seem to have very low noise in comparison to the the full fame camera used by the author. Even in translation, the Russian enthusiasts writing, findings, opinions and, the photographic examples presented are interesting, informative- enjoyable. Even the replys to the Russian enthusiast's post are interesting.
Many thx!

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:00 pm 

The author of the review is a Romanian photographer :-)

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next