Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 pm 

Today Canon finally unveiled its first compact with a large sensor, the PowerShot G1 X.

NEW! See my Canon PowerShot G1 X review for full details and a comparison against the G12, Nikon V1 and Panasonic GX1!

Here are the appropriate extracts from the press release:
    LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., January 9, 2012 – Continuing to revolutionize the digital camera market, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the introduction of a new flagship PowerShot model, the PowerShot G1 X, in addition to two stylish PowerShot ELPH models, the ELPH 520 HS and ELPH 110 HS. The PowerShot G1 X camera will feature a 1.5-inch, 14.3-megapixel CMOS sensor, the largest sensor to date for a PowerShot model, delivering approximately nine times more light sensitivity and helping to produce amazing depth-of-field and high-quality images in tough low-light conditions. For those users looking for a camera with advanced features in a compact form both the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS, the world's thinnest 12x optical zoom with a 28mm lens1, and PowerShot ELPH 110 HS feature a sleek design and compelling creative capabilities.

"The new additions to our PowerShot lineup further demonstrate Canon's commitment to delivering users innovative imaging products," said Yuichi Ishizuka executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A., Inc. "These sleek and compact cameras bring together powerful features, intuitive controls and unrivaled portability while maintaining high image quality."

The Power of DIGIC 5
    Living up to its reputation as a leader in the digital camera marketplace, Canon has incorporated the DIGIC 5 image processor into the HS SYSTEM for all three models. Achieving better quality images in low-light settings, boasting faster operation and providing improved color accuracy, the DIGIC 5 image processor ensures users are able to produce high-quality images in the most difficult of lighting conditions. The processor will also enable the PowerShot G1 X camera to utilize the High-Speed Burst HQ2 feature allowing photographers to shoot images at high speeds at full resolution to capture the perfect moving shot. Additionally, to ensure images are crisp and clear, advanced noise reduction and a smarter multi-area White Balance can be utilized to achieve accurate color reproduction for a balanced image.

Advanced Smart AUTO
    Advanced Smart AUTO, available in the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS and ELPH 110 HS, can detect up to 58 scenes varying from non-human moving subjects to people, landscapes, pets and vehicles, helping the camera determine the best mode of shooting. This technology has been enhanced to include a new Face ID feature, allowing users to register up to 12 people on the camera and have the camera recognize and prioritize each person. When registering individuals on the camera, users can take up to five images of a subject at various angles or facial expressions and enter their name and birth date. This allows the camera to make one of three age distinctions: Babies (0 to 1 year old), Children (2 to 12 years old) or Adults (13 years or older). Based on these different groups, the camera will give focus priority to the youngest recognized group in the frame and makes the images searchable as well with the ability to view only those images of a particular person.

Further additions to this new feature are Smile Recognition and Sleeping Face Recognition. With Smile Recognition, the camera will take three consecutive shots of a scene such as a smiling baby or of grandparents at a family get together and select the best out of the three for the final image. For Sleeping Face Recognition the flash, assist beam and sound is turned off for that precious moment to be captured while not disturbing one's sleep.

PowerShot G1 X Digital Camera
    Ideal for photography enthusiasts looking for the highest image quality in a compact, point-and-shoot design, the Canon PowerShot G1 X camera features the largest sensor to date for a Canon point-and-shoot model. The camera has a brand new, large 1.5-inch (18.7 x 14mm), 14.3-megapixel High-Sensitivity Canon CMOS sensor, delivering shallow depth of field, a wide dynamic range, an ISO range of up to 12800 and incredible light gathering ability helping to ensure brilliant images in even tough low-light conditions. Featuring an amazing Canon lens with 4X Optical Zoom, an aperture of f/2.8 to f/16 for beautiful images when shooting portraits and amazing clarity when shooting landscapes along with wide-angle capabilities starting at 28mm, the PowerShot G1 X camera makes certain that users will have the right optics for most any situation. Further adding to the EOS-like feature set of this new model is 14-bit, RAW+JPEG shooting and compatibility with accessories such as Speedlite, Macro Twin Lite or the Macro Ring Light flashes. HDR Shooting has been included to ensure the best possible shot is captured as well. The PowerShot G1 X camera also shoots in Full HD 1080p video ensuring memorable moments are captured in the highest quality.

The Canon PowerShot G1 X camera has a bright, large 3.0-inch vari-angle LCD with 922,000 dots of resolution providing photographers with the highest quality available in a point-and-shoot. The inclusion of the Mode Dial on the top of the camera and the Front Dial helps provide more intuitive control of the camera.

The estimated selling price of the Canon PowerShot G1 X camera is $799.99 and is scheduled to be available in February.
The full specificatrions can be viewed here on the Canon USA site.

Check out the field reduction (crop) factor which is just 1.85x but also note that this is a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor. Compare to the Nikon 1 cameras with a 2.7x field-reduction factor and a 3:2 aspect ratio. But the Nikon 1 still has a number of other trump cards so comparing these two models won't be for the faint of heart.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:25 pm 

To make it short: I like it! Looks great and I'd really love to get one. I like it better than most EVIL cameras.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:19 am 

I agree it does, mostly, look desirable - especially against the G12. But the mirrorless alternatives still have many advantages (smaller, lens choice, increased video).
I'm particularly disappointed at the lack of manual video control.
Cheers
JK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:52 am 

Interesting, but for $800, I wish it was a stop faster.

My 2¢ - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 am 
I like the look of this. I'm certainly looking forward to some head to head comparisons between this camera and the Fuji X10

I have a friend who is trying to make the decision between compact, ILC and DSLR. I'm not a fan of the ILC format. I think it would be an interesting real wirld head to head between the G1x / X10, ILC with kit lens and an entry level dslr like the EOS 5100 with kit 18 to 55 lens. Many people buy these and never change the lens and this is the choice many folks are making.

I guess the problem with the G1x class is that you never have the option of changing a lens. Hmmmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:05 am 

Features missing:

28- 210mm F/2.0-8.0 equivalent focal length
ISO up to 25,600 with H1 of 51,200
Close focus to 1 cm
460 K dot or better electronic viewfinder
Multi controller ring dial on lens barrel, and ability to use for manual focus.
Wireless flash control of Canon Speedlights
Flash sync of 1/500 second
Remote camera connection and control, including live view via EOS utility
Body Dimensions: 4.41 x 3 x 1.9" (same as Canon G12) contrasted with current spec of 4.6 x 3.2 x 2.5"
Builtin HDR Raw capture.
Ability to have aperture settings of F/22 and F/32, currently spec'd at only F/16
Larger burst depth 23 shots, currently spec'd at only 6 frames at ~4 FPS
More interface ports, audio in, etc.
Manual focus mode w/ Focus "Peaking"
Lower Price, say $150 less

What's great about the current G1 X:
Vari angle rear display with improved resolution over G12, and finally matching Nikon P7x00 series.
APS sized territory sensor for better Signal to Noise
Builtin 3 Stop ND

Let's hope the G2X has some of the above!

P.S. I imagine they'll discontinue the lower end G-Series since they don't want to have a G13 :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:44 am 

Well - I'm happy with the optical viewfinder and the screen so the EVF ist'n important to me :)
The zoom range is a bit short indeed - but it's still better and at least in he wide angle brighter than most kit lenses.

But I don't think they can afford killing the lower end G-series - just because of the price difference.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:25 am 

3 stop ND filter ? I haven't spotted that one in the specs.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:41 am 

It's named in the Canon video about the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:43 am 

When I look at them I can't get over how ugly they are!!! I mean in comparison to one of the new Sony NEX's.
However the menu layout and the ease of use of this are probably much better.
Plus its Canon :lol:
(Bit of a fanboy)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gareththomasjones/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:53 am 
If you are a canon owner then the fact that things like the flashes will be compatible is handy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 am 
Just seen this neat comparison table here http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/canon-g1-x-versus-fujifilm-x10-battle-of-the-fixees/

Quote:
Today, Canon announced its new big sensor, compact fixed-lens G1 X. It’s a major step for the brand, which has been noticeably quiet when it comes to competing in this developing and difficult to define market. But Canon wasn’t alone: Fujifilm also unveiled its X-Pro 1, an ICL device that adopts the aesthetics of the X-series while improving on its technology.

The comparisons are inevitable.

However it’s not the X-Pro 1 that the G1 X has to contend with–it’s the X10. Fujifilm’s successor to the X100 has more than a few things in common with the new Canon release, and buyers will likely be pitting the two against each other.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:13 pm 
A crying shame it was just announced, I have just about decided to buy a Panasonic G3 after borrowing one from work. I have had the pleasure och using it a few weeks with the 20mm prime and a Novaflex contax/MTF-converter that suddenly "unlocked" my five old lenses that I used to work with on my old Contax 167.
The exposure is spot on and I am wildly impressed with the sharpness and the boccé (is that the word?) I get from the lenses. I have had more fun with these old, manually focused lenses and the G3 than I have had taking photos these last years period.
Writing this I just realised I haven't even touched my Eos 5DMkII since the G3 entered my life. Before the G3 I was looking att Canons G12 as a compliment. Now I´m thinking that I might get a Novaflexadapter for Canon/MFT as well.
(Yes I bought the Contax adapter without even owning a MFT camera, I simply fell in love with it at work. Just had to try it.)

Before this fling with Panasonics G3 I used to think my 5D MkII with the new 70-300/F4 L IS was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I always felt that I wanted a smaller camera and was truly consiering the G12.
Now my trouble is wether I should buy a G3 or a GX-1. My new favourite lens is my fifteen year old tamron 90mm/F2,5 that turns into this ultrasharp and compact macro180mm /f2,5 on the G3.

I'm sorry Canon, for me you´ve just missed the party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 pm 

For me this Powershot G1X is definitely interesting as a mobile addition to my DSLR - especially as it takes the same flash guns :lol:
Having the same "pixel-pitch" as the 7D but even a newer proessor the noise level could be just great. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:05 pm 

This does catch my interest! I would rather it had a fixed-focal-length lens with f/2.0 than a variable zoom starting at f/2.8, but having a sensor considerably larger than micro 4/3, and being able to use my existing ST-E2 and flashguns are major pluses. One big negative is the price; is it simply too expensive to justify, when I am trying to budget for a 580EX II and/or an L lens?

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II