Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:35 pm 
I'm looking for a good allround digital camera with full hd video. At this moment I have a cheap compact camera and I wanted to buy a camcorder for filming some family moments. But because most of the time, I take photos and I don't always want to take 2 appliances with me, I've decided to buy a good digital camera with full hd video.

I'll allready gained some information in a store. In this store they proposed the nikon J1. I still have some doubts about this camera:
- don't know if I'm going to use several lenses
- price (€550) is a little over my budget

requirements: good allround camera, video full hd (avchd), stereo sound, built-in flash
optionel: raw format
use: family moments (photo and video) + landscapes and nature pictures

Some interesting cameras:
compact:
- panasonic lx5
- panasonic tz20
- canon powershot s100
- sony hx9
- nikon 9100

system:
- nikon j1
- panasonic gx1
- panasonic gf3 (good price, but mono sound recording)

slr:
- nikon d3100 (because price is the almost the same as the nikon j1 + i have family with a nikon D50 with a whole set of lenses that I can borrow, disadvantage: not compact)

All advice/alternatives are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:01 pm 

My wife has the S9100 & it's pretty decent (apart from it's in red :roll: ) BUT, if you enjoy mainly taking pics, you'd be better off with the D3100 from your list imo, especially if you can borrow other Nikon lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:36 pm 

@bouly: I share your same desire for a good all around camera w/ video that is a step up from the typical p&s out today. Check out Gordon's review of the Panasonic FZ150. Currently that is the leader in my research. Yes, it has some shortcomings compared to DSLRs but given its price point and feature set I'm finding it difficult to pick up a similar system w/o having to spend a lot more money.

Let us know if you picked a particular camera based on your own research. Always good to hear what others choose and why.

-Kirk