Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:04 am 
Hey Guys,

Not been on in a while but have a quick question. Currently have a Sony Alpha A200 which I've had for a few years and brought when I went travelling for a year. Worked great for me then, but since I've settled down in one place (Auckland, NZ), its pretty much stayed in the cupboard as I'm not keen on carrying a bulky camera around when I just go out for the day. Instead my wife always tends to have her TZ10 on her so we use that most of the time, but the picture quality isn't up to what my old A200 could do.

Anyway, happened to bump across a review the other day of the GF3 and liked what I saw. Basically, what I want to know is the picture quality of the GF3, if we used it as a glorified P&S camera, going to better than the regular compact and as near as dammit up to a basic DSLR like my old A200 when used on Auto for example?

Just want something pocketable (nearly) which is getting to DSLR (way above compact) quality really. Have a newborn on the way in a few months so would like something which can shoot quick too.

Thanks!

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:48 am 

Quote:
is the picture quality of the GF3, if we used it as a glorified P&S camera, going to better than the regular compact and as near as dammit up to a basic DSLR like my old A200 when used on Auto for example?

Short answer: yes, especially when shooting indoor candids of a toddler with a 20mm f1.7 lens, for example.

Quote:
Just want something pocketable (nearly) which is getting to DSLR (way above compact) quality really. Have a newborn on the way in a few months so would like something which can shoot quick too.

Longer answer (and off topic here in the Pany section): I think you'd be better served with something like a Sony NEX-5N:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_ ... ndex.shtml

Better IQ, better high ISO, faster burst, still "pocketable (nearly)" with the 16mm f2.8 lens, and you can use your current A-mount lens(es) with an adapter.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:56 am 
Site Admin

Hi Andy, I hope the GF3 review you came across was the one here!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... x_DMC_GF3/

It's a good ILC, but for the best image quality, the Sony 5N is hard to beat.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_NEX_5N/

But if you're willing to trade a little image quality from the 5N for something which focuses and shoots much faster, then the Nikon J1 is a great choice. I actually prefer it for kid photography once they starty moving around quickly!

Find out more in my V1 review which also talks about the J1 in depth:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_1_V1/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:30 am 
Thanks Gordon.

Yep the GF3 review was here :)

Really liked the look of the GF3 from what I saw but then read a few reviews of the NEX 5N (started the reviews here off course) and really really liked what I saw!

Will have a read of the V1/J1 review too, thanks for the heads up on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:11 am 
Had a good read around on the J1 and seems pretty decent too.

My only concern is the low light photos which is one of the areas the Nex-5N seems to excel in. I really like the fast AF on the J1 and could be a boon with a newborn on the way.

Hmmmm too many choices :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Andy, that's the big question! The 5N will beat most other ILCs on image quality, but I was won-over by the J1 / V1 AF and continuous shooting speed for subjects which couldn't keep still!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:02 am 
Thanks Gordon.

Well we've finally picked a camera to replace my A200 and its going to be the NEX-5N. Took my wife into Photowarehouse in Auckland over the weekend so she could handle both the J1 and the 5N to see which she prefered. I thought she would be put of the 5N size but she actually quite liked, but I thought she would prefer the J1 as she liked the look of it on the web. As soon as she picked it up she almost dropped it LOL! Played with it for about 5 minutes but she never warmed too it handling wise and she didn't like the flash at all.

Me, I didn't mind either of them tbh. I liked the Sony more for the IQ etc, but the J1 for the speed, but wasn't too fussed either way, but as the wifey didn't get on with the J1 at all handling wise we're going to go for the NEX-5N as at least that what I know she'll use it too.

Only problem now is finding a store which has them stock at a decent price before our baby is due on Feb 25th. No where has the twin lens kit in stock and not expecting any until early Feb. Sigh. Any tips on where to find one in stock in Auckland or elsewhere in NZ that'll ship?

Thanks for your help with this guys!

Last edited by AndyR on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:03 am 
Oh and for completeness sake, we did look at the GF3 as well as that was what originally got me thinking of an ILC.

Was put off big time by the mono mic and also felt a little awkward to hold. Operation wise and speed was seemed good, but didn't get the "I want to buy this" feeling in the end so moved on.