Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vanguard vs Manfroto
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:50 pm 

Hey all,

I went the photo store will full intentions on getting an Manfroto 055XPROB. I told the guy what I wanted it for (backpacking, landscapes, long exposure, occasional star trail). He then pulled out this Vanguard tripod. He currently uses manfroto but is getting rid of it for this Vanguard. It does have more features plus it's cheaper. I'm pretty much sold, but my only problm was that I've never heard of the brand before. I put the two tripods side by side and they seem very similar as far as stability goes. When the neck of the Vanguard is off to the side it does wobble a bit more than the Manfroto in the same configuration - however a full extension the Manfroto wobbles more than the Vanguard. The only reason I didn't walk away with it is because I didn't hear of the brand before so I wanted to do a little research before I commit. Just wondering if any of you could commit. The Vanguard I'm talking about is the Altapro 263 AT. It also comes with a head that has an independent pan lock as well. Thanks.

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:09 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, not come across the Vanguard, but as you know, I can vouch for my 055CXPRO3...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:32 am 
my vanguard broke the thing that holds the leg is made of cheap plastic i my self will avoid there tripods from now on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:19 am 

I ended up getting the Vanguard after - I've had it for a few months now and love it. I'll keep you posted, however, if I do have any problems. Thanks!

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:45 am 
its a good one be gentle with the legs though and register it for the warranty just in case

Post subject: Re: Vanguard vs Manfroto
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:04 pm 
I bought this after reading some great reviews on it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XD ... 00_details

Vanguard Alta Pro 283CT Carbon Fiber Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head

It is normally about $400ish USD but it was on an amazon lightning deals for $250.

The tripod compared to my friends 055CXPRO3 is just as solid, has a few nice features, has a similar locking system to the Giotto's G lock its very nice. I doubt these legs are going to snap any time soon as they are also carbon fiber. I love it, it may not be a mainstream name brand yet but its a solid tripod. I wouldn't recommend the super cheap vanguard tripods though.

Post subject: Re: Vanguard vs Manfroto
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:54 pm 

I didn't end up with that one, but I've got something similar. Very happy with it so far :-)

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8