Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Powershot S100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:54 am 

I posted the questions below a couple of weeks ago on the "sticky" but no reply as yet. Can anyone help with these?

"Hi Gordon. Couple of questions about the S100:

1. Does "forced off" mean that the flash can be disabled? I always try not to use flash - just my preference.

2. Don't know if you can answer this because you probably have perfect vision but the one thing that makes me hesitate about this and similar cameras is the lack of an adjustable optical viewfinder. My eyesight is no longer what it was. I need specs for reading - and for looking at the screens on the backs of these cameras, but not for anything else. How do people with similar eyesight get on with just working with the screen?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:45 am 

I got the S95 and it can be turned off. Its easily done. I would assume the S100 would work the same.

On using the screen for taking pics instead of a viewfinder, in my opinion its not as good and probably never will be. A viewfinder is much brighter and sharper and obviously faster. There is still a lag in action in what happens on the screen compared to live in front. But having used it a bit in dark conditions and with the back screen heavily smudged by greasy fingers after the kids were playing with it, I find that the focus system snaps into focus pretty well. So I would suggest that focusing should not be an issue, framing the scene properly might be under certain conditions. The face recognition works well.

With adjusting settings, if you use it in av for for example, the front dial ring does aperture, the rear dial exposure, click the centre on the ring button and you adjust iso. It easily comes to hand and its intuitive.
Its a gem to use and I would suggest that there is little need being able to see the screen for navigation in the menu once you have played with it a bit.

Hope that helps.
:)

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:12 pm 

Thank you maxjj. That does help. I haven't been able to try the S100 because it isn't available at local stores yet. If they are so similar to operate perhaps I should just try the S95 v Olympus xz-1 and see how I get on with those two, given that the latter can use an accessory viewfinder - at a price. Good to note your high opinion of the S95 because the size of the Canons really does appeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:46 pm 

as I see it, the main differences aside from the sensor and MP is that the S100 has a 24-120 and the S95 28-105.

The S100 would be nice to have, but looking at the price difference at the moment, makes the S95 good value.

Never even considered the Olympus, I guess they are falling under the radar, the specs certainly look impressive. Maybe they need to send some to Gordon for a review :wink:
I had only been looking at Panasonic, Sony and Canon when it comes the P&S.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:03 am 
Site Admin

Sorry for not noticing your question in the sticky thread - very busy time for me!

PS - regarding the screen, I'm happy to compose with it, but if you want a Canon with a viewfinder, there's always the G12...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:06 pm 
The viewfinder on the G12 doesn't really seem to be very useful. It's really small.

Warth man, I am going to buy the S95 very soon myself. They (S95/S100) are great cameras and offer an excellent combination of pocketability and performance, as well as control for the photographer.
The Olympus XZ-1 doesn't offer the same level of button customization and it is a bit bigger than the S100. I looked at it myself because of the lens, but not being able to customize the buttons or noise reduction for JPEG has put me off that camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:16 pm 

Thank you Gordon, Dutch.

It's the eyesight thing that concerned me and the Olympus does cater for what sounds to be a very good viewfinder. However I'm very keen on the smaller size of the S95 and S100.

I'll let you know what I do - not forgetting to support the site.