Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Partition help please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:32 pm 

I've just had my laptop back after the operating system has been upgraded to 64 bit Win 7 Pro. Here are the specs

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model XPS M1330
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 295 GB
Disk partition (C:) 71 GB Free (100 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (E:) 195 GB Free (196 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Total available graphics memory 1919 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.7644
Primary monitor resolution 1280x800
DirectX version DirectX 10

My XPS has always had a partitioned hard drive, the D: partition was labeled RECOVERY.

My questions are: Is a partition of any significant benefit? If yes then what size should each partition be and what should be stored on them?

My inclination is just to have one big drive to make life easy.....

Any help greatfully recieved

Ian

PS. while your here could you have a look at this "which software" question too please http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with 496 Ball Head. Gorilla Pod SLR
Canon Powershot A720IS with CHDK and intervalometer script. Pentax Optio W90

My Blog - http://www.ianganderton.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:25 pm 

Partitioning on Windows to me is more about what you want, not what you need. Unless there is a specific need otherwise, I'd also go for "one big partition". About the only common strategy I've come across for a single disk is keeping the OS+programs separate from user data, so if you frequently want to mess around with operating system re-installs or whatever, the data is elsewhere and you don't need to worry about finding which bits to keep. The one big partition system means you don't have to worry about having the right amount of free space anywhere either. It's all available.

In Win7 it's easier than ever to change partition schemes, since the built in disk management tool can resize partitions which wasn't possible in XP. So delete the second one, and grow the 1st one into the space that frees up.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:31 pm 

Thanks for the reply Popo.

Just been messing with the disc management tool in Win 7 and its pretty damn easy.

I've gone for the one big disc approach as its the one I understand best and cant see the point in making life any more complicated than it needs to be

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with 496 Ball Head. Gorilla Pod SLR
Canon Powershot A720IS with CHDK and intervalometer script. Pentax Optio W90

My Blog - http://www.ianganderton.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 am 

I would have no partioning, with all the constant upgrades for win7 and diffrent progams you might have or getnit will soon fill up your hardrive. I would get a external 500gb so you can put all your files in, that way if you ever loose your OS harddrive you got them safe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:01 pm 

To make new partition of your hard disk is just one easy task. You can go to your my computer and go to it's property where Manage computer option is available. By selecting it you have complete screen where you can make or delete any partition of hard disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:12 pm 

well i keep 2 (and more) partitions in my systems ( one or more for operating systems + separate one for instalation data).

its good for 2 things - i put all drivers and programs on second one so after fresh install i can install everything without web, and if something happens i will not need to rescue data from windows 7 partition.

but i would recommend using some backup partition because windows 7 reinstalling is dumb - for reinstall a system they want you to boot to system, but what if you cant boot it? thats the most dumb solution since the dinosaur age. Installation disc will not allow to reinstall, only fresh install or repair - which will not work. :roll: (it did not for me)

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,