Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:20 am 
Hello,

I'm looking for insight for my next digital camera decision. I've set a ~400 € budget looking to buy a good quality, future-proof digital camera without stepping into pricey DSLRs with their absurdly pricey accessories.

I'm aware that I'm comparing two different kinds of cameras, which is why I'm looking for advice. My budget allows for any ultra-zoom camera and out of the ones I've read about I like the Canon SX40 best. The Olympus E-PL1 is the only micro 4:3 I can afford that comes with a decently ranged lens. So, what am I trying to compare?

● Canon PowerShot SX40, 28 mm² CMOS-type censor, (35mm eqv) 24~840 (35×) f/2.7~5.8 lens at 385 €
● Olympus E-PL1 with M. Zuiko lens, 225 mm² CMOS-type sensor, (35mm eqv) 28~300 (11×) f/4~5.6 lens at 449 €

Of course, in order to provide advice, you'll need to know what I want to do with the camera:

● Lots of tourism: outdoors architecture and indoor dark scenarios is what I take most, followed by natural landscapes in my local forests. I'd rarely need as much tele as the SX40 provides, though it's nice to have for the occasional picture. I like the SX40 lens specs better, more due to its wider angle at 24mm eqv than its tele 840mm eqv end and being much faster at wide angles.

● I'm concerned with the ability shoot hand-held with low light in high ISO. Obviously, the reason why I'm interested on the E-PL1 is the decently-sized sensor.

● More often than RAW, I want quality, ready to archive JPEGs off them, with decent (i.e. low, conservative) compression. I've seen lots of quality cameras reducing their effectiveness brutally due to bad NR or JPEG codecs (hello Fuji).

● While I take mostly pictures, I want to record high-resolution video with it as well. This is important because I'm not buying a dedicated camcorder. Both cameras do 720p30, but the Canon also shoots 1080p24. It's also supposed to have better IS but some reviews praise the E-PL1 more for IS.

● As lazy as I am for post-production, I like HDR images with absurdly unrealistic tone mappings. Ideally I'd like some sort of fast in-camera HDR composition mode for JPEGs, but as both cameras lack that, I'll be ok with bracketing, which both support, and perhaps taking single RAW files. The SX40 doesn't dump RAWs because Canon thinks at 385 € I haven't paid enough for that (ah, corporations), but the CHDK for it is being developed and it looks like I'll be able to unlock that functionality. I'll see if I can setup an automated script for bracketed JPEG, bracketed RAW or single RAW files with dcraw and other tools on my GNU/Linux workstation.

● Size and weight don't matter at all to me, even for tourism. Camera speed and interface comfort matter (I think both are not awfully slow but take 0.5s at AF).

● I don't pretend/expect to be an amateur photographer, at all. I'm a random person who takes pictures. However, I like the manual controls of my SX100, and I'm not scared by options, power features, having to read or Maths, so disregard complexity as I'll study what I need to take advantage of any camera I buy.

Any suggestions on what should I go for? Thank you very much in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:59 pm 

Welcome to the forums!

Looks like you really did your homework on this one, so there's not much to add. I do think that you will reach the limit faster on the Canon, than the Olympus. And don't forget that the development of CHDK is never a guarantee, just a possibe bonus feature that might be unstable :)

However, can I make another recommendation for the E-PL lens? Since you'll be doing a lot of landscapes, tourism and indoor shots, you might want to use a wideangle prime lens. One that does not zoom, but lets in a lot of light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:05 pm 

I have sx40 and I love it. The zoom on it is amazing and it takes good portraits -every face looks good.

If you just take a lot of point and shoot pictures, it is a very good option.
[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:38 am 

Well... the image quality of the Olympus is better but the Canon is more flexible camera - you need quite some different lenses to get that flexible with the Olympus.
So personally, I'd go for the SX40. I like being flexible.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466