Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:29 am 
Some time ago I was looking for superzoom or camera with a replaceable lens. In some models I saw (but unfortunately forgot now) an opportunity to remove unwanted objects from photos. The camera takes several pictures of the same place and then camera themself removes from the resulting photos people walking in scene and other moving objects, leaving only a clean background.

Tell me please good models of cameras that have such a possibility builtin directly in camera (without using additional software on PC).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:04 am 

Hello and welcome!

The camera that comes to mind is the Fujifilm HS10. It had a feature called "Motion Remover". It's not a removable lens camera, though.

Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM; Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 II; Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon EF-S 18-55 IS (broken); Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:44 pm 
Yes. It seems to be my forgotten model. Thank!

But just now I was found this sample http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipm ... -hs10.html.
If you take a look on full picture http://whatdigitalcamera.media.ipcdigit ... F20961.jpg you will see mutilated bridge bars.
Is this mode is operational? Can it produce high quality photos or this feature is only for screenlooking?
And one more question: is any other cameras with such feature?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:25 pm 

I know it was stated the function was wanted in camera not PC, but the function immediately reminds me of Photoshop Elements Scene Cleaner function. I haven't used it myself though, but it seems to work in a similar way and you could use any camera.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:55 pm 

You just need a camera that can do a couple of (long) exposures, a tripod, and some software, and do it on the PC :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 pm 
Noway - The Fuji HS10 is a 30x/720mm-equiv Bridge-Zoom that claims to have this "feature".... Like many of Fuji's claims - it comes down to "Fuji-isms" or gimmicks.... With my HS10 I try to avoid such...

The Motion Remover function is a gimmick that sort-of-works sometimes - if the scene contents suit the function. The moving object(s) can't be moving too quickly or slowly - or cover more than about 1/3rd width of the frame. The camera must not move while using the function, as it takes and combines multi frames. Even on a firm tripod, it's not only not always successful, but the resulting image often isn't in good focus.

Motion Remover seems to be related, if "the other way around" - to the Multi Motion Capture function... If you can arrange a target - example, a pet - to walk across the frame width slowly (with camera very steady, rest or tripod) - you can get multiple copies of that target in one recorded frame. With the camera set up to do this function - you can rotate the Command Dial to adjust shooting time - longer period if the target is very slow moving...

These functions are described on Pages 24 and 23 of the HS10 Manual.

With the HS10 you can do better Multi Capture (on tripod) using the Continuous turned down to say, 3fps - then from the 7 images saved - select say 1, 4 and 7 - and overlay them...

Doing that, you can use full resolution, too - which you can't with Motion Remover or Capture.

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:00 am 
Thanks Dave for such detailed replay.
It seems that the better way is to try this feature by myself in real camera in hands and looking on the results made a final conclusion.

The only question is remains: does anybody know OTHER cameras with such feature? may be it will be easy for me to find sample photos of different models over Internet and compare them ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:09 pm 
Noway - This is indirect, in that it comes from a discussion on a Fuji Forum about this. One writer accused Fuji of "copying" the Multi Image and Motion Remover gimmicks from Sony - and another said, yes, Sony tried those in the early times when it began their "Panorama" function, and might have been related to that tech...

So you might research what Sony's done in that line - I know almost nothing about the Sony product lines.

You might note, if into HDR - that while Fuji bridge cameras do have +/- 2EV exposure compensation - very annoyingly, the AEB function is only across +/- 1EV, in 1/3EV increments.

However - and it does need a firm tripod - as the HS10 has a separate Command Dial - you can set up to get 3, 5, or more, images of a scene with a full +/- 2EV spread.

The Exposure Compensation graduated indicator bar will stay visible in EVF/LCD as long as a setting is above or below "0". You can start at -2EV if you wish, and get 3-4-5 images, etc - changing the exposure by gently turning the Command Dial clockwise. You can re-focus, or not, per shot - and have the camera in the "same position" by using the 2-second timer.

I'm not really into HDR - just tried it, as suggested on Fuji forum, to see if it works - it does, so long as you're careful with the tripod setup and when altering the exposures.

If I want to play with camera multi-images - I use my Canon SX10 - as it (and the later SXxx ones) does use the full +/- 2EV for AEB - you can even alter the "centre" shot of the 3 - to, say, -2/3EV - although that then gives only a spread of +/- 1 1/3 EV each way.

I use ExpoBlend exposure-blending (I'm a Linux user, PCLinuxOS, it's in the Repo) - if I want to play with increased ranges in images, not HDR.

Regards, Dave.