Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:50 pm 

First of all, thank you for reading my article on the main site. It's a very meaningful story to me, and I really appreciate you all taking the time to go through it.

In case you came across this thread without having read my article (which explains my first experience with a Leica M, my plans to visit the factory in 3 weeks, and more) here's a link:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Leica_M9-P/

If you have any comments, questions or anything else you'd like to say, please leave a reply to this thread. Thank you!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:22 pm 

A good article & a real insight into you reasoning. I enjoyed reading it.

Just like kids in the lead up to Christmas, I can imagine your excitement. 8)

I Reckon Pic #1 on your new camera should be (maybe desreves to be) of the store/factory itself. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:32 pm 

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for sharing. I'm really feeling quite envious and I look forward to hearing about your trip to Solms and, of course, more about the camera.

Bob.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:46 pm 

Fun read. Looking forward to your sharing.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:39 am 

Well written article! I´m also eager to hear about your visit in the Leica factory :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:14 pm 

I can truly identify with the plastic DSLR <-> solid hunk of metal, I have the same feeling about my D2H. Of course, my D2H is a bulldozer and the Leica is a lot more of a subtle instrument but I think I see where you're coming from.

If you can find the time Bjorn, you might want to try out my folding camera and my Praktica. Both share the "solid camera feel" yet are very different from eachother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:34 pm 

Thanks for sharing Bjorn! It's a great and very well written article, which i really enjoyed!
I can't wait to hear about your trip to the factory and seeing your first pictures! :)

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:36 pm 

Thank you all for your replies, and of course for reading the article!

Stay tuned you all for the follow-up! I have to work quite a lot around and especially after Christmas, so the next article might not be up straightaway, but it'll be another good read (I hope)! Also, I will try and write a review on the camera sometime in April (no promises on the month, uni gets busy from time to time).
In April you can, however, be sure to find my first eBook freely available: {working title} 90 days with an M9-P. I'll make a selection of my best shots I've taken from Dec 23rd onwards.

Carlos, the anticipation has lasted 16 months now, this is bigger than Christmas, haha! My first picture will probably be of the Leica family tree.

Bob, one day you'll get an M11, I'm sure! Just stop buying telescopes etc. :wink:

Marijn, we should try to find another day/location to go shoot once I have the Leica. Who knows, might even let you use it for a bit. Haha! Quite like the idea of shooting with the folding camera...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:30 am 

Hi Bjorn,

You're certainly right about the telescopes!

In his intro to your article Gordon wrote:
I admire the man in this story as he's not a wealthy adult at a stage in his life where he might justify such a significant purchase

I'm certainly at "that" stage in my life but I'd feel a bit guilty owning a Leica M right now as I wouldn't get a fraction of the value out of it that I'll get from my astro stuff, even given the lousy weather we so often endure here in northern Europe. Better that the available M-system cameras are in the hands of dedicated photographers like yourself . . . until I'm sixty-five, perhaps. :wink:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:57 pm 

Nice article Bjorn, cant't wait to see your first images from the M9.

But what made you decide too choose the 50 ?

I've been using a Zeiss Ikon and Leica CL for the past two years. And although I started out with a 50. That lens is now hardly used. Because it feels like a short tele, compared to the 25 and 35 that I use.

If I was in your position, I would buy the MP. But that is personal taste. :)
Digital just isn't my 'thing'. Starting using film has given me more fun, than digital ever has done. And that's what counts for me. And although I still have a DSLR lying around. The only digital camera I regular use is the Canon S95. Maybe it's time to sell the DSLR gear.

But I can totally understand why you choose the M9. So I'm looking forward to the next article. The M9 is a amazing tool, and I've no doubt, you'll show us some amazing pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:15 pm 

Thank you!

The main reason I chose to go for the 50mm Summilux is budget (says the man who's buying a Leica... :D ) I find myself needing the f/1.4 aperture for a lot of my photography, so I was looking at the Lux range. It was either the 35 or the 50 from there. I made some estimations last year in September, and thought Christmas 2011 would be a realistic deadline/target IF I'd get the 50 Lux. If instead I went for the 35mm, it would have taken two months longer.
Really excited to use the camera during the holiday season, and when many of my friends, who've been on exchange for the past half year, come back to Rotterdam in January.

Also, back when I had my name written on the waiting list for the camera and lens, I shot with a 35mm on APS-C, and it worked for me. Now I find myself shooting with 24/28/35 a lot on my D-Lux 5. So ideally, I'd pick up that 35mm Lux... I've only been on the waiting list for that a couple of months though. Picking it up around August 2012 in Leica's Paris store.

After that I am not sure what third and final lens I want to get. I'll be having a look at two options on the 23rd: the 24mm Summilux and the 28mm Summicron. The good thing about the 24mm is that it is quite a bit wider than the 35mm, but it does require an extra viewfinder for proper composition. The 28 doesn't. I'll have to see whether the 28mm is, for me, significantly different to the 35mm. If not, the 24mm Lux will be my third and final lens. No need for anything wider, nor for anything longer. Though, of course, a Noctilux will always be an option...

I've never seriously shot film. I'd like to, but for now the freedom and ease of digital (especially in archiving and developing) work best for me. I have considered an M6 on the side, and I still am interested in having one, but it would cost quite a bit of money, time and effort to buy film, develop it, scan it, etc.
I encourage you to sell your DSLR stuff though! Why keep money lying around to depreciate if instead to can spend it on something you'll actually use (say, an MP :wink: ). That's what all that gear is: potential money! I was fortunate because the lenses I bought some years ago had gone up in price, so I sold them at little to no loss. Try it with a lens you haven't used for a year, and you might just find yourself selling the rest of it soon! Be quick though, the holidays are just around the corner, and you know how many people try and stop spending money after New Year's...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:31 pm 

Quote:
That's what all that gear is: potential money!

I'm of the opposite perspective: money sitting around is potential gear. Of course, only spend it on gear if you'll actually use it.

The price increases for lenses of recent years is mostly due to the current economic situation. Western currencies just aren't worth as much compared to the Yen, pushing up local pricing.

For my shooting style, these Leicas are an interesting curiosity, but you'll have to do better than that to persuade me to get rid of the '400 :D I did debate getting a used M8 to play with, but even they're not cheap by any means...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:41 am 

I enjoyed the article, and anticipate reading more after your M9-P is a reality for you. :)

Whether a digital Leica rangefinder camera is in my future, or not, remains to be seen. I have handled an M9 and an MP at a Leica dealer in Houston, Texas. The solidity and craftsmanship are certainly superb!

I have other financial goals to accomplish between now and late 2013, that make Leica glass and cameras impossible for a while. Meanwhile, I enjoy reading of the experiences of others, and, of course, enjoy the wonderful cameras and lenses that I own now.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, pre-II 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S; Tokina 17mm & 100mm 2.8 Macro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:24 am 

Hi Bjorn,

One cannot help but admire genuine dedication in whatever form it takes and I can certainly appreciate that it takes a serious financial dedication to reach for this combo. I do look forward to see the images you will produce with it as I already enjoy the street photography you've done so far.

When I look back at my year and a half living in Belgium, I feel like a complete boob that I didn't have photography as an active hobby at the time. Having been to London a few times, I know there is an abundance of street scenes to snap there too.

I'm curious though: what, if anything, do you feel that your current Leica doesn't do as well for you? To qualify: are there any specific qualities about the M9 that you specifically look for to be an improvement over your existing?

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:49 pm 

@popo: Of course one should just sell gear that doesn't get used anymore. That's why I'm still holding on to my DSLR and 35/50. It gathers dust most of the time, but occasionally, I'll take it along for a day. You have to get the best out of your assets, so sometimes you'll need to convert lenses to money to buy something new.

@RexGig: Thank you! I certainly hope you'll be able to get your hands on an M again, it might just win you over...

@Ken: Thank you Ken! Both Belgium and London are only a couple of hours away, so whenever I feel like shooting, there's an abundance of wonderful cities to visit. London has always been my personal favorite, perhaps because the photos I've shot there thus far have been my most successful. I will return this coming February, probably, to snap around with the new Leica.
There's quite a couple of things I am looking for in the M9-P over the D-Lux 5. The viewfinder is a big one: I really dislike composing through an LCD-screen. Speed is another factor, I need to be sure the shutter opens at the exact moment I click the shutter button. Lens interchangeability is very important as well: I need to be able to use large aperture lenses, to shoot in low light and to play with shallow DoF. Other than that, the little Leica holds up quite well, and I enjoy shooting with it. I'll certainly bring it along on vacations, alongside its big sister.

- Bjorn -