Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon Printers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:46 pm 

This section of the forum will certainly develop into the ever lasting struggle between Canon-, HP- and Epson-fanbois.
So I put my cards here on the table confessing that I'm currently using two Canon printers:
1. Pixma MP780, a all-in-one Din-A4 combination of scanner, Printer and fax-machine with 5 different colors (C, M, Y, Black and photo-black)
2. Pixma Pro 9000, a Din-A3+ pure photo-printer with 8 colors (C, M, Y, photo-C, photo-M, red, green, photo-black)
What I like: both are fast, price of canon ink is affordable, picture-quality seems very good to my eye, print-head doen's seem to clobber up. With the MP780:it has a DIN-A4 tray under the printer that can be filled from the front, which is very convenient.
What I don't like: the Pro 9000 uses the new inks with LED and a chip, they are not compatible to the ink in the MP780, although the cartridge seems to be the same. They charge 1 Euro more per cartridge and I have to keep two stacks of refill cartridges :?

Hint to Fans of other printer manufacturers: please start your own thread in this section, because I'm sure, that other companies also have nice printers :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:36 pm 

I finally managed to boil down 2500 New Zealand photos to the best 45 or so (see here)
The reason was to produce these pics in DIN A3 print and make a booklet.
As I've already tried to make calenders for the family I was eagerly waiting for my Canon Pixma pro 9000 to put out the pics in large print.
The result is gorgeous! Think of really well color controlled prints on Canon PP-101 paper that big in a binder with no other paper or fuzz, just a spiral holding the complete book together. Marvelous!
The printer used some serious amount of ink, I think about 14 cartridges for a total of 100 prints, so that is around 2.50EUR per print, and worked without a glitch (and fast!). If I would have bought a photo-album (not sure what this is in english) that would have set me back another 50EUR for 40 pages and certainly would not have looked so concentrated and puristic!
I'm very happy abut the results I got and must admit, that printing lends your selected pics an air of professionalism and artsy quality that is easily reflected in the reaction of the folks who see the booklet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:30 am 

Holy crudmonkeys, Batman. I'm just getting over the twists and turns of finding the right DSLR! hahaha. I knew the printer would become a chore later on. Dang chores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:40 pm 

Boy tombomba2 - here is a veritable can of worms opened if you have ever had one. A3 photo printers seem to boil down to 3 brands that are worth their salt. Canon, Epson & HP & all are very very good. It is just a matter of personal taste. The newest is the Canon Pro 9500 with 10 ink cartridges, then there is the HP Photosmart Pro B9180 with 8 & the Epson Stylus Photo R2400 with 8 cartridges. I have to tell you I spent 2 full weekens studying these printers before I decided on the HP. This link is absolutely brilliant if you want to do some research on these printers:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printe ... age_1.html

Nikon D600, Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR, Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR, NIKON AF NIKKOR 28-105mm F/3.5-4.5 D, NIKON AF NIKKOR 85mm F1.8 D, Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm F1.4G, Nikon AF 16mm f2.8D FISHEYE, HP Pro 9180, Adobe CS5 Master Collection, Lightroom 4, Capture NX2, DxO Optics Pro v 7, Elite Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:42 pm 

Well i have the Canon MP600 with the high res, and I find it very very good, bit of trouble getting the colours right with CS3 but thats my stupidity not the canon.

Print outs are very crisp and sharp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:52 pm 

Excellent review-link, holocator! Very thorough comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:50 pm 

Thanks holocator

Your link is timely for me !

Edited:
Looking for something to replace my existing Epson 830.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:48 pm 

I have a Canon MP145, which my father got for family use a while before I started photography. It has served my whole family well with photocopying, scanning, and printing.

The price was reasonable, and provided Canon still has up-to-date models of similar price and quality by the time mine breaks down, I will most certainly choose it for my printers. By the way, my whole school has more than dozens of Canon printers(model not sure).

What are everyone's thoughts?

SnS 8)

my flickr

Post subject: canon printers..
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:05 am 

I think there could be a better view on these printers. Canon printers aren't the ones who should be blamed for the low quality printing. The ink should be responsible for it. Use the proper canon toners and you would see that the printer only depends on the toners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:02 am 

thank you for sharing, It is a great post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:31 pm 

I have a Canon MP620 and can't fault its colour prints, however B&W prints always seem to have a slight pink/brown tint to them. I have always used genuine Canon inks so cant blame the ink.

I have been looking at one of Canon's A3 printers but cant justify the expense to the wife at the moment, especially as I have only just convinced her of the merits of a Canon 100-400m L :wink:

Post subject: Re: Canon Printers
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 am 

I too support Canon printers, they are simply awesome. Just get genuine canon ink, you will get to know the difference. :)