Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hi, and please HELP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:20 pm 
I am thinking about buying a new camera and giving my older camera to my sister.. I currently have the Panasonic DMC-TZ3 and have loved it.. I do want a faster camera (more zoom maybe and better megapixal) can you guys help me please to choose one.. I like the Panazonic DMC-ZS10 but was told in a video online that it doesnt take good pictures if you want to see them full size on your computer.. I loved all the features but if this is right what do I do..
I basically want to take pictures outside of nature and sunsets and sun rises and water and alot of family and kids when they are over.
I am wanting to buy this ASAP so please any help is so great..
Can someone please help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:52 pm 

Do you want to stay with a `superzoom/compact` or are you thinking about a DSLR or smaller interchangeable lens camera?
Also what is your budget?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:09 pm 

If it's "more zoom maybe" it sounds like a Superzoom camera. And "better megapixal" don't really exist. More megapixels aren't making the image better but bigger. In many cases it's better with less pixels as the low light / high ISO performance is usually better - always compared with cameras of the same generation.

If a bigger camera than the DMC-TZ3 or ZS10 is allowed the Canon Powershot SX40 HS is pretty impressive with its 35x zoom and the 12MP CMOS sensor.
If it has to be compact I'd go for the SX220 HS. Technically it's very similar to the SX40 HS but smaller because of the "only" 14x zoom lens.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:18 pm 
And they pointed me to this camera... Olympus SZ-30MR - What do you all think...

I am wanting to stay with a smaller camera and my buget is 400 or below..
I really liked this camera Olympus SZ-30MR when i saw it in the shop...

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:48 pm 

Never saw the Olympus before and just looked for some information. Looks OK but not perfect. Pretty impressive zoom range for that size.
In my opinion 16MP are quite a lot for that small camera / sensor and I guess you might find ISO noise even using lower ISOs - and zooming you end up with an aperture of 6.9 - sucking a lot of light (so high ISO might be needed to get no camera shake).
There are two other things I don't really like about it. The first thing is the battery - you have to charge it within the camera via USB - so while charging you cannot use the camera.
The second thing is that there are no manual modes but the "P" mode. So at least you can change the ISO and the exposure compensation manually but nothing else. No shutter speed, no aperture, no custom white balance...

EDIT: I found a thread about the Olympus - someone tested it here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27081

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject: Sad Now lol
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42 am 
OK so if not that one.. What do you recommed.. Remeber I am not a pro and only do this for myself and just to post on my website sometimes nothing big at all.. lol..

PAtrick