Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:48 pm 
Hi, I have been shooting with my E-520 for about 2 years. What was me taking pics of the family has turned in to a small outdoor family photo business. I need another lens and flash. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:17 am 

Hello Hotpocket, welcome to Camera Labs!

If you are willing to stay in Olympus' 4/3 path, for flash there are two options: FL36R or FL50R. For the camera kit, depend on the budget and you're serious about your business: if you have big budget may I suggest to upgrade your kit to Olympus E5/E620 with Olympus Zuiko 12-60mm, and Olympus Zuiko 50-200mm to accompany the E5. it should be enough for family outdoor photo.

*if you have extravagant budget, get the Zuiko 14-35mm f2 and Zuiko 35-100mm f2! :twisted: :wink: :D

Good luck!

“Photography is about a single point of a moment. It’s like stopping time. As everything gets condensed in that forced instant. But if you keep creating these points, they form a line which reflects your life.” – Nobuyoshi Araki

site: http://www.stellarminor.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:08 pm 

What types of photos do you shoot? You say you need a new lens, but what is it you need to do which is being limited by what your have?

There's really little benefit in recommending kit before it's known what you need.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:53 pm 
Thank you both!!! What I am using right now is great but I have worked my way it to some Equine shoots and I feel my lens seem to be smaller then my vision. I am more concerned with a flash right now, not sure on budget until after christmas. Would it be ok to look for these items used? Thank you a ton!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 pm 

If flash is your main concern now, you can always check on third party manufacturer. I know Metz made reasonable price and decent quality flash for all camera brand. Do check reviews of their product on the interweb, and make comparison with Olympus' flashes. Used item can be a savior when the budget is tight. Just check how the previous owner use the flash, is it for professional purposes or just to take family pictures.

Good luck!

“Photography is about a single point of a moment. It’s like stopping time. As everything gets condensed in that forced instant. But if you keep creating these points, they form a line which reflects your life.” – Nobuyoshi Araki

site: http://www.stellarminor.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 pm 

I'm not sure what "lens seems to be smaller than my vision" means.

Do you need a longer zoom, a faster lens, or a bigger viewfinder?

As for used equipment, there very little Olympus gear available in most countries. Olympus 36R of 50R flashes are more expensive than the Metz ones but I can't really suggest one for your needs.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:32 am 
Thank you both for your help!