Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon prices
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:18 pm 
I'm looking to get an upgrade for my D40, which has served me well but is beginning to show its age now. Ive had my eye on the D5100 however, because of the Nikon factory in Thailand being flooded the prices have gone up by around £50 in the last couple of weeks and the cheapest I can find it anywhere reputable looking is £650 (with kit lens - if they even have it in stock).

Canon, however have a cashback offer on at the moment and I can get the 600D for £100 less or the 550D for £150 less. They also seem a bit more enthusiast based with dedicated ISO button and live histogram etc. but ill have all the faff and expense of doing away with all my Nikon lenses and filters.

So... my question is does anyone have any idea whether Nikon prices are likely to fall over the next month or two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:08 am 

If you've invested in the lenses I'd hold fire and wait for a downturn - there's normally offers hitting the streets around Christmas time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 pm 

Althouh it might work out a tad more expensive, if you get body only at least you can choose a different/better lens if you want. Depends what you're wanting to shoot really & what range you need in a lens.

Check these out; http://www.mifsuds.com/acatalog/Nikon_D ... meras.html

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/digital ... b3065-m168

Don't forget the used lens market too (especially from reputable dealers)

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/pro ... ndhand.php

http://www.mifsuds.com/acatalog/Used_Ni ... enses.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:30 pm 
There seems to be much less difference in price between the Nikon and Canon body only (probably lens stock is running low rather than body). I could keep the 18-55 kit lens off my D40 although I like the improved build quality of the new version and i think id find VR useful. I was actually toying with the idea of upgrading to a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for a general walkaround lens instead. But I was thinking that my limited budget might be better used on increasing the focal range of my lenses with an UWA (Tamron 10-24 / Sigma 10-20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:23 pm 

Depends what you shoot most really but if you wanted further `reach`, for the money you won't go far wrong with the Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5/5.6 VR. used ones can be picked up for £300 (ish) + then keep your 18-55.

A good all round, 1 lens option, is the newer 28-300, but not cheap if on a limited budget & you may also want a wider lens to compliment it.

Tokina make some great lenses also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:42 pm 
Ive just bought a D5100 and im very pleased with it on first impressions, significant step up from the D40. I decided to go for the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in the end as an upgrade for the kit lens, which should arrive shortly...

The guy in the shop said stocks of Nikon equipment is running low and things wont get much better until at least March when production can get up and running again. So if anyone is thinking about buying any Nikon gear get it soon!

Post subject: nikon d3100 prices
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:18 pm 
i had decided to buy my daughter a Nikon D3100 for her 21st as she wants to get into digital SLR onto to find the price hike because of the suppossed shortage. i am just in Singapore for a couple of days and i can buy them anywhere i want . one retailer said that if he can get them why can't the retailers in uk ?
my dilemma is that the warranty will not be valid if i buy here according to Nikon website whichsays they have regional validity only
£300 with a bit of a haggle for a body and 18-55mm lens is tempting
Does anybody know what are the common faults that happen on modern dslr cameras of this standard that need a warranty ? i must admit that i have not heard of problems other than dropping them which is more likely to be covered under household insurance. anybody got any bad experiences ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:43 pm 

Gig, for that price, against £470 in Uk, I reckon i'd be mighty tempted. 8)

Not heard of any common faults. Maybe charge it up & try it out before leaving? That way you will also have a few pics of your visit + it won't be new if stopped. :wink:

(Don't forget you are liable for `duty`. May be worth throwing/hiding the box too :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:32 pm 
Its definitely more of a risk but I havent heard of too many issues DSLRs, and for the sake of £170 seems like a good deal...

If is breaks you could probably get it repaired for £170 anyway!