Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lumix G3 or Canon 600D
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:21 pm 
Hi all, first post love the camera labs reviews and info.

I want to get a new camera, I was looking at the Canon IS40HS but after reading Gordon's review I was then going to get the Panasonic FZ150. I then noticed the G3 was not much more, a friend then said no get a full DLSR. I looked into it and I like the look of the 600D, I should be able to afford this with some eBay sales I have going on!

I want to use the camera for both stills and video, of the kids in and out side. I also want to take stills of wildlife and scenery.

I have been put off the 600D due to the lack of full auto focus when videoing, I also read a user review that the video is not easy to use, but can be learnt. But the 3x zoom on filming and the microphone input are good features. Stills are not an issue with this camera.

The G3 video seems to be better out of the box but the stills may not be as good. There is no input for an external microphone.

I don’t know how the kit lens on either of these cameras will work in the house in terms of distance to the subject. I will not be buying another lens straight away.

I've not been into manual photography before, I would like to get a camera that I can use and grow with that will last. I don’t know how I will get on with a heavier camera, and I don’t think my wife would use one. The G3 is a lot smaller and I would think she is more likely to use this. How ever we still have the finepix F31FD for her to use ;-)

Any thoughts on the above, I am open to other cameras. Looking at Nikon the video function does not seem to be as good as the canon or the G3. I don’t want to get a Sony as I don’t like the brand, sorry to anyone that does!

Thanks to anyone who replies.
Luke
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:48 pm 

So which external mic do you have? And why the emphasis on sound?

In any case, both kit lenses (G3 and 600D) should be fine in terms of distance to subject indoors. My concern is that neither is particularly fast/bright. And for wildlife, both lenses are rather short. Personally, for daylight wildlife shots, I would say go with the FZ150. But for indoor stuff, I would say 600D + 50mm f1.8 II or G3 + 20mm f1.7

Unfortunately, covering both scenarios on a budget is going to be difficult.

Mark

P.S. Between the G3 and 600D (when used with similar lenses), I think the skill of the photographer and post-processor will make more of a difference than the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 pm 

Id look at the cheaper 550D also, it's almost the same camera at a lower price point.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:47 pm 

A word of caution given your (Luke) emphasis on video, the 550D's screen is fixed, and an articulated LCD like on the 600D and G3 can be very handy when shooting video. Not to say that sacrificing the vari-angle LCD for, say, a 75-300mm lens for (daylight) wildlife isn't a valid approach; just be aware that you are sacrificing/compromising something.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:33 pm 
Hi all, thanks for the replies! :D

Mark, I don’t have a mic at the moment, the G3 only has onboard and reviews talk of external noise being an issue. The 600D will take an external mic so if there are any sound issues I can over come this. Until you get the kit and use it you just don’t know how it will perform for you and if you will be happy with it.

My budget has increased so I can afford the 600D its £540 from Amazon with £50 back, I have to buy from there as I have gift vouchers. Do pending on my sales I may be able to get this with the 50mm f1.8 II as its only £70 at the mo and from what I have read this lens is good for video as well.

I have no issues in buying more lenses in the future depending on my needs just not all at once.

The FZ150 looks great it’s not that much cheaper than the G3 £390 vr £420 with £40 off, I need to do comparisons of the stills quality. I would assume that the G3 and 600D would be a lot better than the FZ150 but I could be wrong!

I assume you are saying that the speed/brightness is an issue with the kit lenses and I would be able to overcome this with another lens?

Ruben, thanks for the input looking at both cameras I would go for the 600D as it has better video features as Mark said.

Mark I think that’s my issue I need to compromise something, I just need to work out what!

Thanks again,
Luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:54 pm 

The 50mm f/1.8 would be good for video if you're not moving the camera but if you are moving it, the lack of IS is more likely to result in the video resembling footage from Cloverfield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:52 am 

McDuck wrote:
Mark, I don’t have a mic at the moment, the G3 only has onboard and reviews talk of external noise being an issue. The 600D will take an external mic so if there are any sound issues I can over come this. Until you get the kit and use it you just don’t know how it will perform for you and if you will be happy with it.

While that's true, if you're not videoing something in which sound is an important aspect--e.g. kid's piano recital--I think it's a mistake to prioritize potential audio issues over actual video issues.

Quote:
... the 50mm f1.8 II ... from what I have read this lens is good for video as well.

Also true, but in addition to the lack of IS that Rorschach noted, also be advised that the non-USM AF is rather noisy, and that it can be difficult to "pull focus" with the thin, loose and "short-throw" ring. Also note that with the 600D's 1.6 crop factor, 50mm (80mm equiv.) may be a little long in tight quarters.

Quote:
The FZ150 looks great it’s not that much cheaper than the G3 £390 vr £420 with £40 off, I need to do comparisons of the stills quality. I would assume that the G3 and 600D would be a lot better than the FZ150 but I could be wrong!

In good light (i.e. broad daylight), the cameras will probably be very close. But as the light decreases, the larger sensors of the G3 and 600D will have an advantage, especially if they are used with a fast/bright/large aperture lens.

Quote:
I assume you are saying that the speed/brightness is an issue with the kit lenses and I would be able to overcome this with another lens?

Yup. Both kit lenses are f3.5-5.6; whereas, at f1.7 and f1.8, both of the primes I mentioned are two stops faster than the kit lenses at their fastest aperture. And remember that each stop doubles (or halves, if you want to look at it the other way) the amount of light. So a difference of two stops is four times the light. (Quick and dirty demonstration: light 4 candles, note how bright it is, then blow 3 of them out.)

Quote:
I need to compromise something, I just need to work out what!

Well, in addition to prioritizing video over audio, I would also suggest you look at which kinds of pictures you will be taking more of in the near future. (read: before you can save up for additional lenses). i.e. over the holidays, will you be taking more indoor pics of the kids and family gatherings or daylight winter scenes or wildlife or ... ?

HTH - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:57 pm 
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your excellent advice, there's a lot to get your head round with different settings\abilities of the lenses.

I think I'll go for the G3 and look to buy the 20mm lens depending on how my sales go! I can then look at getting a telephoto lens later on.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:39 am 

You're quite welcome, Luke.

The G3 + 20mm f1.7 is a good "walk around" package--small enough to carry with you, but with low-light performance and field of view that can capture indoor candids and video.

And if you do end up wanting better audio down the road, you may want to consider a Zoom H1 or something similar. (This will mean that you will have to sync the audio to the video in post, tho.)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:26 pm 

For the combination of video with stills, the G3 seems best. You can have a look at Gordon's review with several video's as well. If a prime lens suits your needs, I don't know. It's good for low light, but you might miss the zoom in lighter conditions. Saying that, I remember taking pictures with a 50 mm lens in the film days and it didn't bother me that much. Or maybe I didn't know better...