Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quasi Luddite here
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:35 am 
Was googling up some camera reviews/ tests , and was impressed enough with Camera Labs to sign up.

I am seemingly the last True Believer in "Real Cameras" . But I have been on a dual path for quite a few years now. To me Film is for Serious Photography, and digital is carried with me 24/7. I am still mourning K1000s . My father, whom was my early influence in photography among other things, thought it was overly high tech because it has built in exposure meter. He told me about when 32 ASA film was introduced , it was unbelievably fast.

My very first digital camera held 10 pic on lowest res.

My first digital that I was serious with held 50-70 pic of 640x480 , and I thought life couldn't get better. wore out several of similar specs, until I was forced to get one of those newfangled digitals that used removable memory.

First impression was that at $39 USD for 16 MB ( that's MB, not GB) it could get expensive. Then dropped to about a dollar a MB. Then a year or so later ( I go through periodic spurts of camera activity, then coast for a year or two, then restart) it was that price range for 1GB.

That led to second insight. I was holding a 1GB SD card, and my computer at the time had a 1GB hard drive! Somthing wouldn't fit here. I could have gotten ruthless at deleteing images from the camera, and being very selective at only taking "perfect" picture to start with, but that seemed to defeat the freedom of having cheap memory to take nearly unlimited pics, with lots of minor variations and angles. So I decided to make the SD cards themselves the storage format , and use the now ubitiquois self serve printing kiosks for whemn I wanted hard copies.

For last cpl years I have been using Cannon A480. I thought it did everything I needed in a pocket camera. Other than a few shot where I specifically contemplate blowing it up to large size, I typically use the "date" format at 2M . At that usage it gives thousands of images on a 2GB card. When I would see newer cameras, I was distressed to see that most had gone to dedicated custom batteries. I have adjusted my total electronic/ electric life style around a pocket full of NiMH AAs .

Today while at office supply store for another purpose saw cameras on "Black friday" sale prices , and took a look. Seeing that it took AAs, I bought an L24 , with intention of slipping it to wife , for the family to wrap up to give to me for Xmas.

Of course after reading the reviews here, I think that I would prefer to have an A1200 , and the L24 would be a better fit to give to Wife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:43 am 

Hi Welcome aboard, what do you like taking photos off?

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:38 am 
Site Admin

Hi Biggfoot44, welcome on-board!

Are you writing a new letter to santa then?!

PS - if you're shopping online for anything, please consider going through the support us page!