Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:10 am 
Im planning on buying RF-602 or 603 receivers. I need members who are actually using these models to confirm if they wake up YN-460 II flashes when they got to sleep.

There seems to be some confusion in wetherthe wake function works on all flashes.

My cheap ebay triggers wake them up just fine. I want to know if these RFs would do the same. Im upgrading only for the 2.4ghz reliability.

And secondly if i want to fire the flashes with the transmitter in hand, i heard the 603s dont do this. Because it works as a transmitter only when its on the camera hot shoe. Can someone confirm this and if so will the 602s work with the transmitter in hand.

Finally i also want to know how you guys manage to fix these RF-602/3 receivers (with the flash atop them) onto light stands or on the floor pedestals because the damn units lack even a basic tightening screw below each unit which is available on each and every other trigger ive seen in the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 pm 

You can use some velcro to stick them to the top of your flash :)
Can't help you with the flash waking though, I use Cactus V5 triggers and they can't wake a flash (I just turn off the power saving mode though).

You absolutely can hand-trigger with the cactus V5 though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:06 am 
But im not going to buy Cactus.

You dont need velcro to stick it to your flash, the flash base screw tightens well onto the receiver hot shoe. The problem is the RF-602s dont have a base screw for themselves (like the flash has) to tighten onto something else, like a light stand.

I think your talking about some other receivers ? Thats why im particularly looking for info on RF-602 0r 603.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:16 pm 

Well, you're planning to buy a set of wireless triggers. The ones you want don't do what you need, so it makes sense to recommend another brand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 pm 
Yes its absolutely ridiculous that they designed a 2.4 ghz trigger and forgot to put a dial nut on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 pm 

a tripod foot? You can buy a small adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Shoe-Flash- ... 1699wt_905

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:26 am 
I saw a mount with double tightening nuts one for the top and one for the bottom. Probably to be used as a go between for the rf receivers and the tripod or whatever. Still its inconvenient. Imagine when you want to mount this on a stand and have an umbrella too. The order will then be. Flash, receiver, the double sided wing nut adapter, then an umbrella stand holder/adapter, then finally stand tip and stand. Next they must be coming out with a sandwich holder that you can put inbetween these in case you get hungry during the shoot.

Its like mountaneering with a rope that has been cut into 5 bits and knotted, just for fun, like life wasnt difficult already as it is. More parts to go weak, slip off. More parts to undo each time you go to a different mount. More wobble since we are uneccessarily adding more attachments just to facilitate a dumb receiver thats handicapped without a basic tightening screw. And this also adds unneeded distance between the umbrella stem to the flash head. So more offset in the flash to umbrella centre. Youd ideally want to fire into the middle of the umbrella to prevent lighting anomalies ?

I know the chinese are making a lot of items cheap etc. But they goof big time and are nothing but good at copying stuff and making them (probably via illiterate workers) cheap with big blunders thrown in. Just try reading their manuals etc. Forget the manuals, the lcd menus on the hardware itself have spelling mistakes and vague names, just because they cant spell or speak english. Ive seen a remote which showed "slowly" instead of delay. "After" instead of reset. I bought a timer remote from them which i cant get used to because of the vague words in the menu. No excuses though as english is a universal language. They can either learn it or stay out of business. How much would it cost to get a translator before you make things permanent.

Flickr is full of complaints regarding these RF-603s and many arent buying them just because they omitted putting a tighten screw on. And ive joined the bandwagon for the same reason. :(