Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:46 pm 
hi there all :)

I have posted this in the Panasonic Lumix DMCFZ18 forum but I think I was in the wrong place as it is a video issue and nobody has replied yet.

I am both a forum and a video newbie so greetings all, and please excuse any technical ignorance.

I have the Panasonic Lumix DMCFZ18 which shoots SD video at either 854 x 480 at 30fps widescreen, and 640 x 480 30fps standard size. I use PAL, Windows 7 64bit.

I recently bought Adobe Premiere Elements 10 to edit with and was astounded to find it has no project settings which correspond with these, the nearest being DSLR 640 x 480 @ 50fps (first I've ever heard of 50fps).

Furthermore on the video library websites the ONLY SD size they offer is
854 X 480 @ 29.97 fps MPEG! And it is a standard size on Youtube as well!

I may be a bit of a video newbie, but I thought 30fps (or 29.97) was a STANDARD frame rate. Elements project settings features every frame rate BUT this?

What is going on? Why is this size, featured on one of the most popular digital cameras and all of the video libraries NOT included on one of the most popular video editing sofware programs??? It cannot even be a NTSC/PAL issue as many of these library sites are US based.

I have asked on the Adobe Premiere Elements forums and have yet to find the answer a day later. I am advised that either my FZ18 or Premiere Elements is obsolete/unworkable and even if I upgrade to Premiere Pro at 6 times the price for functions I do not need then it still may have problems dealing with such 'custom' sizes despite its ability to enter custom project settings.

What the!!! CUSTOM SIZES? I don't understand! Can anyone please explain?
No-one seems to have heard of these settings? So what about the stock video sites, they seem to concur with the FZ18?

I am also still not sure what happens if I use the wrong settings for a project. I was testing the DSLR setting of 640 x 480 with non-widescreen video but at the wrong frame rate of 50 fps last night, editing and rendering without problems, though I didn't try exporting. However I want to use 854 x 480 at 30fps which aligns with the video library size, and my monitor size...why wouldn't I?

To further complicate issues the Premiere Elements Project Setting - DSLR 640 x 480p50 refers to itself as '16:9 progressive SD video' when it seems to me to be obviously 4:3 not 16:9 which I thought was widescreen? Huh???

Does nobody edit video shot on the FZ18 or purchased from video libraries? Am I the only one with this problem? All this has left me extremely confused and with my enthusiasm depleted. Right now it feels like I'm on another planet. Surely I don't have to throw my FZ18/Premiere Elements in the bin as suggested?

What do I do? Have I missed something? Any ideas or help will be massively appreciated?

Many thanks :wink: