Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:15 pm 
Hi all,

I've been looking into getting a lens to hopefully do both wildlife and a bit of motorsport.

I've come to the conclusion that I need fast focusing (ultrasonic), image stabilisation at full zoom, focal length >250mm and an Fstop suitable for good DoF on the subjects (F4-F8).

I've always turned my nose up at anything that wasn't Canon, but I just cant ignore the reviews this Tammy is getting.

I wanted to see what peoples opinions were on its performance and whether there are any owners out there. I've seen a forum (could be on here) where an employee of Jes*ops has tried both Tammy SP 70-300 and the Canon 70-200 L F4 (no IS) and he preferred the Tamron.

Any thoughts?!

Last edited by UKmitch86 on Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:50 pm 
I bought the Tamron this morning if anyone's interested and I'm exceedingly happy. I tried several lenses in store and felt this was the one for me!

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26828

EDIT. Another member has PMed me asking for some thoughts on the lens. Hopefully this'll serve to help him make a decision!

My local shop have a decent range of stock and allowed me to try a couple of lenses after I'd been considering the Tamron 70-300 VC USD or the Canon 70-300 IS USM (both F/4-5.6 and both with ultrasonic motor focussing).

I can't provide detailed technical information, but I can summarise the choices I made which led me to purchase the Tamron. My budget was ~£375.

I was looking for a lens which had sufficient focal length for sports (primarily rugby and motocross) and for wildlife. After reading tens of Amazon reviews, website reviews and checking sample images, I realised that focal lengths around 300mm (on a cropped body) would be sufficient. This ruled out Canon's 55-250, and their 70-200 L F/4 (no IS).

I then discovered that fast focusing would be of great benefit for my application. Having got a general feel of attitudes toward Canon's USM, I noticed that the Tamron equivalent lens was using the latest ring-type AF motor - the first lens of Tamron's to do so. When I compared (in-store) the Canon's incarnation of USM on its 70-300, it felt sluggish and noisy compared to the Tamron. It is also worth mentioning the Canon's tendancy to overshoot and return to point, whereas the Tamron will seek and stop dead on subject.

The Tamron's VC (vibration compensation) is its version of Canon's IS. Reviewers argue about many other points with this lens, but one constant is the VC. For me, and many others out there, VC is superior to IS which I would argue is a massive plus when handholding at 300mm. The real kicker with VC is that when you half depress that shutter, the image locks in the viewfinder temporarily, meaning camera shake is vastly reduced and your chances of a sharp image increased. I was having a look at it again this morning, and the gyro's effect is really noticeable - with finger off the shutter release, you're free to move the lens around to frame your shot - however, when half depressed to engage the AF, there's half a second where the image is locked (ideal time to take the shot) or for another second after, moving the lens around you'll notice a resistance through the viewfinder to the motion you provide. Overall, you can see a couple of my test shots in the lens gallery where there are a couple of 300mm examples. It's marketed as having 4-stop compensation, but I say that's wishful thinking, work to 2/3 and you'll be fine.

I'm no expert on bokeh, but the quality of the blur is well illustrated in these shots.

Personally, I'm now looking at moving into using filters and getting a wide angle lens for landscapes. Now that summer is here, I've learnt a bit about how CPL filters can aid your colour saturation, as long as they are positioned at the correct angle to the sun. It's also become apparent to me that some lenses rotate at the front when focusing - the Canon 70-300 IS USM does this, but the Tamron doesn't.

Another real world test is the weight, feel and build quality. The Tamron is significantly thicker than the Canon and heavier. I found the build quality of the Canon to be comparable to the 18-55 kit lens, and despite the zoom ring creeping as it was looser, there was a lock switch. The Canon also had a cool feature which I felt I would rarely use - a 2-mode IS where mode 1 enabled IS in horizontal and vertical and mode 2 enabled only vertical gyros to aid when making panning shots. The Tamron zoom ring is smooth and has a comforting level of resistance, while the focus ring can rotate infinitely and not damage the AF motor. This makes for a very nice opportunity to focus initially with the AF and if you're on the wrong subject, just modify it a bit.

The lens hood supplied shows absolutely zero vignetting.

I'm sure I've missed some things, but if anyone wants to ask something, then fire away and I'll do my best.

Some links that may help when researching;
http://lashooters.org/showthread.php?t=2399
http://www.demystifyingdigital.com/Digital-SLR/Tamron-SP-AF-70300mm-Di-VC-Lens-Review/index.aspx#
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B003YUBTIU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
http://photo.net/equipment/tamron/70-300di-vc/
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/962577
http://www.aputure.com/blog/2010/08/11/new-tamron-70-300mm-vc-lens-pre-review/
http://www.tamron.eu/en/lenses/overview/single/product/sp70-300-f4-56-di-vc-usd-1.html

I don't know how much credit EISA get, but it's been given an award as the best zoom lens in 2010-2011.

On a final note, I suggest you read through this thread in its entirety, replies and all. The Tamron is being compared to the Canon 70-200L IS F/4 - not even the 70-300 IS USM.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=37025578[/url]

Post subject: Yet another praise
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:45 am 

Just read this short review and liked it a lot. I myself am recently an owner of this Tamron lens.
I'd like to share a couple of my thoughts, maybe they'll come in handy to somebody.

TAMRON SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
For those who want a powerful tele-zoom lens and are not yet ready to go for expensive "L" series this is a perfect choice!

***PROS:
-One of the best in class in terms of picture quality
-Very tough build, not water tight but extremely durable (almost feels like you can use it instead of a hammer and it'll still make great photos);
-USD motor: almost instant focus;
-VC: great stabilization, I managed to handhold shutter speeds of 1/8 and 1/4 even (on 200-300 range)!!! With absolutely no smear and blur on pictures!!!;
-Has full time manual focus override (in AF don't forget to half press shutter release before turning focus ring though!);
-Front element does not move or rotate during focusing;
-Supplied with lens hood;

***CONS:
-Weight and size maybe... But well, it's a big boy... if you want this kind of telephoto you got to be ready to carry weights) AND! It's still a lot lighter than most "L" lenses;
-F4-5.6... well, this lens needs light... lots of light

***COMPARED TO CANON 70-300 IS USM:
If you're considering buying this lens you have most likely taken a look at the similar Canon model as I did;
So why did I go for Tamron instead?
Before ordering I went to a local photo store and took several test photos with different Aperture values with both lenses attached to my Rebel T2i. Viewing pictures I did not notice much difference in picture quality. And since both lenses are not cheap low-end models I don't think quality will be an issue. Hell both make great pictures!
So the choice was based on what I like more about Tamron and here's what that is:
-Front element does not move or rotate during focusing. I was kinda surprised that on Canon's counterpart it does! Such an expensive lens with this front element twisting and turning like on a cheap 18-55... (What were Canon thinking about?);
-Tamron comes with a lens hood, while Canon's philosophy is you MUST spend some more on a lens hood...;
-The quality of materials and the feel of Tamron lens to the hand just is much much better for some reason. It feels a lot tougher than Canon too;
-Tamron is a lot cheaper!!! And for this difference I got myself a good Camera Bag and a polarizing filter;
-VC on this lens is absolutely fantastic!!! I'm not a pro and have probably seen and held in my hands like five or so stabilized lenses in my life and this VC is the BEST I ever saw;
-The one thing that I like more on Canon is that it had a zoom-lock button that does not allow the barrel to extend under it's own weight (when not in use). Tamron does not have it, BUT! Tamron's zoom ring is extremely tough, it rotates very steadily and slowly, there's no chance it will extend on it's own, even if you decide to go horse-back riding with a camera hanging on your neck.;

Overall I think this lens is as close to pro- as you can get without having to invest in "L" lenses.
The price difference of this Tamron lens and Canon 70-200 F/4L USM is not that great and it can make you think, but really it shouldn't, because this L has no IS and no way anyone can handhold something like 1/4 of second on 200mm.

Benro A300F Tripod + BH1 Ballhead

History:
Canon Rebel T2i

Last edited by Mish on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:41 am 

Thanks for posting this!! I've been in the market for a zoom to go beyond my sigma 18-125 and have been eyeing the canon 70-300 none L. With my move was having a hard time getting that price past the wife. We went to a camera shop today here in Tucson AZ and the shop owner and i was chatting and he introduced me to this tameon lens. The wife said that is in a good price plus a $50 mail in rebate i may be headn back to get it :D this shouls do me until i can do the 70-300 L IS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:11 am 

Well i did it, broke down and got it today. I'll post some samples in a few days but i got an awsome shot of a plane flying over. Got samples of some birds and stuff too. I love it, it's a great lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:49 am 

Super happy with this lens...sample images

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=245205#245205