Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC

Do you edit your photos after you have shot them?
Poll ended at Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:28 pm
Yes,all the time/Yes,quite often 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
Sometimes/Depends on the photo 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
No/Never 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: To edit or not to edit?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:28 pm 
Hello everyone!

Until recently I used to take photos with mediocre compact cameras. Needless to say, the photos almost always needed some post-shot editing. Although photo editing is something that I am against, this was a necessary evil if you will because otherwise, the photos looked..not so desirable. Now, I have bought a dslr! (Hurray for the new guy!) Having done so, I promised myself to not edit another picture again.

I feel that I must mention the fact that I am not saying post-shot editing is a bad thing, nor am I judging the people doing it. What I am saying is that it is something that I personally do not wish to do.

Now to the actual subject of this post, I am wondering how many professional and semi-professional photographers edit their photos on a computer. If any of you have a statistic or an opinion, please let me know.

PS. I noticed that I have the option of starting a poll on this subject and thus decided to do so. I would appreciate your votes very much! Thnak you!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:04 pm 

Welcome to the forums!

The answer to your question regarding professionals is: pretty much everyone. Sports and news photographers generally bother less with editing though, and might be the exception to the rule, with their fast turnaround times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 pm 

I would be shocked if a professional DIDN'T post process their photos. It doesn't mean that you're a bad photographer if you do. It's part of the whole process - and an important one.

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:28 pm 
there are no such thing as a professional that doesn't edit his/her photos. I saw many of them, however they all were horrible,no other word to describe. and most of them get the basic rules wrong too. search from some American names,you'll find plenty of negative examples.
the masters back in the days used to spend a whole day in the dark room & these "geniuses" choose not to edit,when in digital it's a million times easier,faster & more precise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 am 

What about Sports, Press, and Media Professionals. They may not require editing, because what they are actually capturing is real life. They don't need to worry about blemishes on faces and whether the sky is the perfect blue.

The images may have to be instantly uploaded via the internet as well.