Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:50 pm 
Which is the Best Camera among the following is good for landscape phototgraphy?

Canon EOS rebel t3i (600D) or Nikon 5100 or Sony Nex 7 or sony SLT A77

Is Sony Nex 7 is better than traditional DSLR for Landscape photography?

I am very much interested in Landscape photography and I want to become professional landscape photographer. So please help me in buying the best camera for this. If you have any other camera please let me know. I am really confused now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 am 

With the 600D, D5100 and the a77, then lens you use would make a far more noticeable difference than the body if you're only doing landscapes - the a77 is arguably better for video and sports/action photography where the subject moves quickly. If you plan on doing large prints, the a77's higher pixel count does give it an advantage. You're best out trying all three to determine which is more comfortable - that one will probably be the one you use the most.

Is there a particular reason why you didn't mention the Canon 7D or the Nikon D7000, which are closer matches to the a77 in terms of feature set and price?

With photography, "better" is often subjective. The NEX7 can take great pictures in the hands of a skilled photographer but lousy to unremarkable ones in the hands of a ham-fisted photographer without a modicum of creativity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:27 am 
For landscape photography generally speaking the more pixels the better for retaining sharp detail. You will also require a good quality lens if you intend to make money from your photos and this should ideally be a wide zoom or prime in the 10-20mm category. Bear in mind all the cameras you mention are cropped sensor cameras so the lens will have a longer effective focal length than the range shown. If you are really serious about landscape photography then you may want to consider a full-frame camera although these are a lot more expensive than the crop frame cameras.
You can,of course take good landscape shots with a crop frame camera and standard lens but the set up I have described is generally considered the way to go for great quality wide shots.
Oh, and buy a tripod and graduated filter set. A cable release would be handy too. And good waterproofs, and...............
Have fun.
Oh, sorry! Cameras! Nikon D700 and Sony A something or other, I forget the name of their full frame model. Canon do a couple also. A quick search of this site will give you the proper names and user reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:49 pm 

Hi mohamedrizwan3,

May I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

I'm just a happy snapper but I do take an interest in landscape photography. I think you can probably rule out the NEX-7, not because it is unsuitable although I do have a question mark against that model because of the lack of a native ultra-wide lens, but because production has been badly affected by the floods in Thailand.

I don't think any of your shortlisted cameras are unsuitable for landscape work but do remember to leave enough in the budget so that you can afford to buy an ultra-wide zoom sometime in the not too distant future if you think you'll need one. Lots of great suggestions about hardware in the posts above so the only other thing I can suggest is to leave enough in the budget to buy some well illustrated books on the subject. The good ones tell you a bit about how each shot was captured and even if you want to avoid the mental gymnastics involved in calculating equivalent focal lengths for modern DSLR lenses you can still spend quality time trying to think how you might capture each shot.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:15 pm 

Is this your first camera? If so, either the Canon or Nikon you listed would be just fine in my opinion. But keep in mind that the body is only one link in the daisy chain. The lens is what you really need to focus on. For a cropped frame body (the ones you have suggested fall in this category), a lens with a focal length in the 8~14 mm range would work well.

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR