Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I just published my Canon SX40 HS review with lots of comparisons against the FZ150 (v1.0). Bottom line? The FZ150 remains my preferred choice for enthusiasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:44 am 
Thanks Gordon,

I just skimmed through it. It's quite like I expected the SX40 to be (and why I personally prefer the FZ150).

Still, it's interesting to see the image quality in many respects are similar between the two of them.

As far as I know it's not possible to use an teleconverter on the SX40, which is possible on the FZ150. So for things like birding the standard lesser zoom of the FZ150 can be changed into something with more zoom than the SX40 has to offer.

About two weeks ago I made a quick&dirty handheld shot of the full moon with my 1.7x teleconverter screwed on: http://www.mediafire.com/?9c4y4s3bbdoicju (1.3MB jpeg)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:28 am 
Site Admin

Nice image size skullone!

Post subject: FZ-150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:34 pm 
I just become a member in Camera labs. Fantastic reviews. Kudos!
I own Canon-SX 10 IS and planning to upgrade. I have short listed SX 40 HS and FZ-150. Which is the best and VFM?
I have a Canon Speedlite 430EX-II Flash. Whether this can be used in FZ-150?
Please advise.
Regrads,
Arun. :D

Post subject: FZ150 going back....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 pm 

I really wanted to like the FZ150 because I wanted to avoid buying a DSLR again…and of course the price was right. But after hundreds of photos I can’t get past the fact that the photos just don’t have that “wow/pop” factor I was used to with my old Canon DSLR…amazingly enough even my wife agreed.

The photos that came out nice were fantastic, but there were way too many non-keepers using the iA mode…the preferred mode for the wife. This goes for the shots taken outdoors in the bright sunlight or in the evening. I tried the other modes including manual and I just never was satisfied, especially with the focusing speed indoors at night with normal lighting or outdoors at night. Perhaps if I never owned a DSLR I would be happier.

I don’t look forward to the extra weight, but I think I may just have to go the DSLR route again…maybe a Sony A35/55 w/ 18-250mm lens?

Happy shooting!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:21 am 

I've just watched Gordon's external microphone test and I'm wondering what forum members think is the best value mikes for the FZ150 ?

I would favour a Stereo mike over mono.

Sound travels in a straight line, like light from a torch and it seems a bit unusual for the built in mike to be facing upwards and not forwards where it would point towards the sounds being filmed -a bit like walking down a dark street and pointing the torch upwards!!

How does the Panasonic external mike compare to the Rode(s)?

I've bought the camera but it hasn't arrived yet, I've got a wireless remote and I notice one end has 4 segments- this looks to be the camera end?

I've also bought a short lead with a normal mini jack socket and the smaller panasonic size jack, but this only has the usual 3 segments- I'd rather use that than a converter plug which has the possibility of damaging the camera if knocked - I'm assuming that the 4 segments are something to do with the remote and not for microphones?

I also want to get a wireless lapel mike and would appreciate any suggestions for that

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rob, unfortumnately I've not tested the external Panasonic mic, so I could only speak for the Rode mics. I too would prefer to use a cable adapter than a fixed plug, as I've already partly bent mine!

Arun, welcome on-board - I haven't tried a Canon flash on the FZ150, but they might not play well together. For full control of the flash, you'd need a Canon body.

mitchel, sorry it didn't work out for you, but yes if you wnat those nice crisp and clean images, you'll need a camera with a big sensor. Doesn't have to be a DSLR though, an SLT or ILC will do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:29 am 

Thanks Gordon, I've already bought a short conversion cable and a wireless remote!

My FZ150 arrived yesterday and I have been testing it against my old 4mp Olympus C770 - makes me appreciate all the work you do in testing because it is not easy!!

I have always thought the Olympus had a great lens (but it might have been a good sensor too) and I wanted to make sure I am getting at least the same quality.

I had the cameras on tripods side by side, both at their highest resolution, and used remotes. Both cameras on Automatic mode - I tried to frame exact duplicates but the viewfinder in the old Olympus camera isn't accurate and each of those shots was not as zoomed as the Panasonic, so it's a bit hard to be exact about it.

I viewed the results in photoshop, side by side, and increased the magnification to look at fringing pixels etc

The results show both cameras about the same, which proves that the old Olympus was a very good camera, as I've always said. The Olympus also produced a truer colour with more yellow for the palms, hills and sky, the panny favoured more blue but there are more settings on it that I can try.

Maybe I'm not testing correctly? Appreciate any advice on what to do and look for.

The Panny was so much easier to use and so much quicker. The LCD screen is really sharp with all the info plus I can easily toggle the info on/off and also have a grid showing.

So as long as I haven't lost resolution I am happy - the Panny goes more wide angle and more telephoto - all good. Jeez that Olympus has been a great camera !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:33 pm 

Thanks for the tips Gordon.

I think right now I'm leaning towards the Sony A55 or the A35 with the Sony 18-250mm lens.

I would prefer to get the A35 as it's newer, smaller and resolves the overheating problems but I sure wish it had the swivel LCD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Stingraynut if one is 4 MP and the other is 12MP, surely you'd be able to record MUCH more detail on the latter, right?!

If you're benchmarking, I'd use Program or Aperture Priority and also shoot in RAW+JPEG so you can test the highlight latitude of the RAW files...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:35 am 

Apple just released an update which provides RAW support for the FZ150. I can now view and manipulate RAW images in Aperture and on the iPad. Nice.

Post subject: Skullone moon shot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:11 pm 

Love that moon shot! I'd like to try one myself -- since I'm new to DSLRs (just got a FZ150) could you tell me what settings you used (besides the teleconverter, which I don't have?) I'll be waiting for the next clear night in my area...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:12 am 
For those using Linux, they might note that DCRAW, therefore all applications using it, Digikam, RawTherapee 32/64-bit, etc, updated to support the Panasonic FZ150, Fujifilm F600EXR, Nikon P7100, Olympus E-PL3 and E-PM1, Sony NEX-5N, A65 and A77, on 11th October.

It has updated color data for: Olympus E-P3, Panasonic G3 and GF3, PhaseOne H25, P40 and P65, Sony NEX-C3, NEX-5, NEX-3, A35 and A55.

Also support for dark frame extraction on Sony cameras.

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:52 pm 

First off, excellent review Gordon. I can't believe I hadn't stumbled onto your site before last night. There are a few key items I am having difficulty discovering on-line for the the FZ150, perhaps some folks here might have:

-What is the startup time to first shot?
-What is the time between shots in regular non-burst mode?
How about w/ flash and AF disabled and enabled for both of the above?

I'm finally retiring my old Olympus UZ-2100 after many years of beautiful pictures. Yes since that time I've had a few small P&S cameras mainly for my wife to use but they still missed something that the 2100 always had.

Originally I came to your site looking for information comparing the T3i and a D5100 thinking I was really ready for DSLR. Having read the sticky "Should I buy a DSLR" it got me thinking and thus I became interested in the FZ150. If the times are fast enough for my wife to not be frustrated by a lost shot of our kids due to shutter lag, memory delay, flash charge, etc. This may be the camera I've been waiting for that isn't going to break my wallet.

Thanks,
-Kirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:44 am 
Hi Gordon & co.

I've just acquired the FZ 150 in Canada, my first digital camera. Thanks for the informative reviews & revealing tests. Two questions remain:

1) How does one verify or upgrade the camera's firmware?

2) How does one confirm this is not the European model limited to 29' 59" video recording time, without running a test? It seems a major handicap for such a nice piece of gear. The Basic Manual states "approx. 205 min. recording time per battery charge" - but I can't locate specs on the max. recording time.

Does anyone have a page reference for the CD manual?

What size SD card would be required to run such a test - to determine max. video time?

The purchase includes a two week return policy - all input is appreciated.

Alex

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next