Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:16 am 
For those in UK who are thinking of buying a A65 and want a good deal, I’ve just ordered a A65 with 18-55mm lens for £630 from Sony Centre (UK) .

The prices on the Sony Centre site vary depending on the branch you select, so you’ll have to experiment, perhaps starting with the stores nearest you. St Albans store was offering the A65+lens for £699.99 other Sony stores were offering it at £879!

Decided to call the Sony centre orderline as I wanted to confirm stock and price, which was much lower than other stores. The agent confirmed camera was in stock, but after asking which branch I had looked at (presumably so he could check their prices), without prompting he said he might be able to offer a better price!

After checking “with his manager” he offered a 10% discount on the £699.99 store price, and said the camera would be dispatched immediately with free delivery. He offered the option of collecting from store, but I declined since ordering by phone/online means it’s classed as distance selling, so you can return item within 7 days of receiving the goods for a full refund, for any reason.

THis is an incredible saving of around £250 on the typical prices which I've seen on the high st stores websites - why pay more?

Let's hope it isn't an error, as I've now received confirmation of dispatch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:31 am 

Hi Gaz58,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

And thanks for sharing. I hope you get your camera at that price and that your post has allowed others to share your good fortune. 8)

Let us know how you get on.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:50 am 
Many thanks for the welcome.

Very much a beginner, moving from a old TZ5 compact, and although photos weren't too bad on a good day, became increasingly frustrated that it it didnt meet my most basic of requirements ie push the button and take photo (immediately, without thinking about it). Delays of up to 2-3 seconds frompushing button to taking the photo were not uncommon, meaning the "moment" had gone, and despite trying the various but limited settings available

Just thought I'd share the tip for a good price, hopefully more people can save similar amounts!

Post subject: i want one :)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:34 pm 
hello there gaz

i was wondering if u actually got the camera with the lens as u describe above for £630 - if so - can u give me a name and a number i can call to get the same deal

thanks
aly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:07 am 
Hi,

yes, received the camera and std 18-55mm lens, ordered on a Friday, received on the Monday. Firmware 1.03 installed no problems so far!

Sony UK website for A65 is http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsi-body-and-1-lens/slt-a65vk

but you probably then have to select a "local store" - try St Albans, who currently have it for £699.

Then call the Sony UK sales centre on 0845 6000124. When I called, they asked which store and which product, presumably to check the price. Without haggling, the agent said he woud see if he could better the price, and then announced I could have a 10% discount, making the camera £629 with free delivery - A bargain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:19 am 
hello there gaz - thanks for ur reply

i rang my local sony centre in newcastle and mentioned the deal u got from another sony centre - but they could get nowhere close

since my camera old camera was in for repair - and it was looking unlikely that i would get it back in time for a job i need to do next monday - i then searched on ebay - and found the camera with the 18-55 and the 55-200 lens for £736 delivered - from hong kong - i emailed them and they were very responsive - so decided to go with them

this was at about 6pm friday - the uk spec camera kit arrived yesterday at about 2pm (monday) via dhl - amazing service - amazing price - fantastic value

so thanks for ur help anyway - looks like we both got bargains - and what a fantastic camera to boot - by far the best i've ever owned - some of the images i've taken already are outstanding

hope ur enjoying ur new toy as much as me
all the best
aly