Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:32 pm 
I hope this is on-topic!

I'm looking for a remote switch. I've been borrowing a relative's switch and tripod for a few months now and it's high time I got my own.

I don't subscribe to the "only Canon gear" philosophy, so if there's something out there at a fraction of the cost with added capability, it could be attractive.

It would be great to be able to set a manual exposure length beyond the 30s offered by the camera.

What are you guys using?

What's your experience with non-Canon switches?

Wireless/cabled?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 pm 

When you say remote switch, I assume you mean a remote shutter release?

The 3rd party corded versions from the far east ebay sellers are dirt cheap. Get several if you go this route as I find the cable itself does fail with frequent use, but they're cheap enough to get many. If you want to pay more you can get models with timers built in.

I've also tried a 3rd party cheap wireless model. It works... not much more to say. Battery size in the remote unit was an uncommon size and isn't rated to last long although I've had mine quite a while.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:05 am 
Quote:
I assume you mean a remote shutter release

Sorry, I meant cable release! I don't really want to consider items where batteries may run out unexpectedly.

I can't seem to find a reasonably priced cable release with just a timer on it - to take over my eyes when the shutter speed goes over 30s.

I'll probably wind up ordering the simple Canon push-lock release.

Thanks for the answer though popo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:18 am 

http://www.buyincoins.com/details/remot ... -2390.html

Not even 3 dollars, with free shipping. Delivery time is slow (1-2 weeks), but hey, 3 dollars.Bought from them before, multiple times. I have the Nikon release by the way