Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Lens Choice
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:11 am 
Im looking to buy a new lens for my up and coming trip too HK and Australia (which im beyond excited about!!) Im looking for a new lens that i can use for everyday shots, people, markets, nightime stuff! I was thinking of buying a 50mm f1.8 prime?

Any thoughts or opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:42 pm 
Either the 50mm or 35mm would be a good buy. The 35 would be better for street shots having a wider angle and the 50mm better for people pics. Which ever you go for I am sure you will be happy with it. They are both good lenses for the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:31 pm 
Which is simalar to the human eye? 35MM aint it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:57 pm 

They are both "similar to the human eye": It all depends on the viewing distance of the final image:
- with the 35mm you need to view it from a distance that is equivalent to 1xdiagonal
- with the 50mm you need to step back 42% further to have a "normal" viewing experience
But I'd support Dave16's advice: If you're after people, get the 50mm lens. If you go for street, get the 35mm.
Me personally? I'd get the 50mm because subject isolation from large aperture shots is generally better with the longer lens*. And on the wider-angled side dof-isolation is not so desirable in my book.
---
*For the technically inclined: dof does not depend on focal length but on magnification. Still the larger magnification of the background and the smaller angle of view makes the longer focal length better in isolating subject than the shorter FL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:58 pm 
With the time I also prefer to go out with the 50mm instead of the 35mm. Just 35mm is in the middle of what I like - not wide enough and not tall enough.
If you have a chance take both to try them for a day and you'll decide for yourself. I think 35mm is more "what real eyes see" on DX camera, but however I like more the results from the 50mm.
Both are very sharp, so this couldn't be a decision making factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:49 pm 
I went for 50mm in the end. Thanks for the replys